Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
OK, I'll bite. What is the "Cherman machine"?

Got it!

Joke... You know how they say their "W's" like "V's" etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
A Harley is a bike. Neither good or bad, just depends on what you value.

As a performance machine, it is overweight, underpowered and way over priced.

As a lifestyle device, I would believe there isn't a better one made.

As far as "made in America" I'd look at Honda before Harley. At least as far as history goes. Unfortunately that's changed moving forward.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Joke... You know how they say their "W's" like "V's" etc...
Of course! I can hardly believe I didn't catch that. Ach!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I might like to try a bike with an auto tranny. What is a good model to test drive?

GL2
Aprilia Mana, Honda VFR1200 are the two that jump to mind.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
In addition to mikeyyc's comments:

Honda DN-01, list is pricey but they died at list and are available new in the high 7s range, check Trader on Line. Its a 690cc V-twin and looks pretty cool. For details see: powersports.honda.com/street/crossover.aspx

Yamaha also makes an electric shift variation on its 1300 FJR sport/ cruiser, you can foot shift or slide button shift on the left handle bar. It just eliminates the hand clutch.
FJR1300AE - YCCS Electric Shift System

Further down the performance chain you could look at a maxi-scooter if it fits your taste. My main ride is a Piaggio MP3 400cc. The MP3 comes in 250, 400 & 500cc versions. The two wheels on front give it a whole lot more stability and the suspension lock is a real benefit. Piaggio Scooters :: PScooters :: MP3.cfm

Suzuki makes a Burgman scooter, 400 or 650cc, very high quality machines. Honda makes the Silverwing 600, its a very nice road scooter and of course has Honda quality.

Yamaha makes a 500cc T-Max scooter that is the closest thing to a scooter crotch rocket you can get before hitting the Mana (Aprilla is a major scooter mfg.). The T-Max will redefine your understanding of what a scooter can do. They also make a well regarded 400cc scooter, the Majesty.

I wouldn't advise jumping on the the Honda 1200 or Yamaha 1300 if you're a new rider. They are big and fast bikes for a newbie, especially the Honda.

I can't use a foot shifter due to old injuries and am working my way up the automatic food chain as I relearn riding. Next on my list is either the DN-01 or the Aprilla Mana. After that, either the Honda 1200 or Yamaha 1300 looks really sweet but it will be awhile before I can handle that class of ride.

Ride safe and enjoy life.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
The Mana is fantastic. If there wasn't air when you reached for the clutch, you'd think it was a standard bike. The system is completely seamless, and it rides like a motorcycle, not a maxi-scooter.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
No argument from me, the Mana is one sweet machine. Perhaps I should have been more precise, Aprilla makes a whole line of non-scooter products (street and off road) but are a major player in the scoot market. They also offer the 500cc Scarabeo maxi-scooter. The Mana is listed under their street products, not scooters. Its known as an automatic motorcycle and very highly regarded from what I hear. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

PS - Aprilla is owned by Piaggio and the Mana engine is from the Gilera (also owned by Piaggio) GP800 scooter, which is not sold in the US.
www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/aprilia/2009-aprilia-mana-review-88199.html

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 06-14-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I generally hate Harleys because many of them are unneccessarily loud....and not for BS "safety" reasons.

Some riders have all the class of some wankster pumpin his stereo (worth more than his car) as they cruise around town.

Had 2-3 bikers riding on the interstate by my car that were so loud you couldn't hear each other talk with the windows up. One jackarse that lived by me in Chicago loved to open it up in our neighborhood at 6AM on his way to work most days of the summer. There are many other instances like this.

I am not generalizing, the bikes are meant to be loud and a portion of riders give the rest a bad name.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I don't know that they are "MEANT to be loud". They aren't loud with the stock exhaust system, but many Harley riders change that as soon as they can. They mean to make them loud! (Maybe that is what you meant.)

Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't know that they are "MEANT to be loud". They aren't loud with the stock exhaust system, but many Harley riders change that as soon as they can. They mean to make them loud! (Maybe that is what you meant.)
Yes. That's what I'm trying to say.

When someone intentionally goes out of their way to make their bike, stereo etc. intentionally loud and are not respectful of their noise then they are a D-bag.

Again, that's not all HD riders....there are many that make them louder but are aware and don't blaze it up at 6AM pulling out of their driveway. However, there are enough that are NOT good about this that they have earned their rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles