Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,467,000 times

Advertisements

Do you know this rider?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jj4f...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,998,922 times
Excellent!!!

Yeah, I've known a few riders similar to that, but of course never quite that bad.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,212,868 times
Hahaha!

Have not done track days, but I do a lot of canyon/twisty rides with local groups. Most of us are real laid-back people with minimal egos and just a common love for bikes, but we ALWAYS get a few new guys showing up on that shiny new Gixxer 1000 or similar. You know the type. They rev the living bejesus out of it pulling into the lot or maybe even pop a little wheelie (because, you know, maybe a group of bike guys have never seen or heard that before), stage the bike when they park it, then rather than walk around and meet folks they either stand next to their bike looking hardcore or go around 'evaluating' other bikes.

And, of course, it never fails that these are the guys that either a) are slower than molasses once the turns come or b) push way too hard to either keep up or maybe even pass you but end up low-siding or doing something else stupid.

Mike

Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,256,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Hahaha!

Have not done track days, but I do a lot of canyon/twisty rides with local groups. Most of us are real laid-back people with minimal egos and just a common love for bikes, but we ALWAYS get a few new guys showing up on that shiny new Gixxer 1000 or similar. You know the type. They rev the living bejesus out of it pulling into the lot or maybe even pop a little wheelie (because, you know, maybe a group of bike guys have never seen or heard that before), stage the bike when they park it, then rather than walk around and meet folks they either stand next to their bike looking hardcore or go around 'evaluating' other bikes.

And, of course, it never fails that these are the guys that either a) are slower than molasses once the turns come or b) push way too hard to either keep up or maybe even pass you but end up low-siding or doing something else stupid.

Mike

WOW...What a very dumb generalization...you should ride the mountains with me....oops, I have a GSXR-1000

So what do you wanna generalize next...the whole SNELL vs DOT debacle??

Sorry, I had to go in because stupid prejudgements like that are what makes bike nights and our hobby soooooo lame. As long as you can do your thing, dont worry about anyone else. BTW...POSER's are everywhere...the track, the mountains and the streets. JUST DO YOU

Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,278,151 times
I think he hit a nerve because you have a GSXR-1000. I hope you're an experienced rider! You're right about prejudgements, but I think the point was concerning anyone who gets a shiny new [fill in the blank] and expects everyone to ooh and aah, since they are also an instant great rider.

A good rider on an old slower bike can go a lot faster than a bad rider on a new faster bike.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,212,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
WOW...What a very dumb generalization...you should ride the mountains with me....oops, I have a GSXR-1000

So what do you wanna generalize next...the whole SNELL vs DOT debacle??

Sorry, I had to go in because stupid prejudgements like that are what makes bike nights and our hobby soooooo lame. As long as you can do your thing, dont worry about anyone else. BTW...POSER's are everywhere...the track, the mountains and the streets. JUST DO YOU
Uh, OK........................

I think (hope) you're misunderstanding what I was getting at. I have no grievances against any specific motorcycle or even genre of motorcycle. The guy I described could just as easily be riding a Ninja 500 (although we all know he wouldn't be, because only lame people ride those (and yes, THAT was sarcasm)). I was more poking fun at and agreeing with the general stereotype the clip in the first post eluded to, at least I think I was. I dunno. It was MONTHS ago that I watched it and posted my response, after all.

And if anything makes a motorcycle gathering lame, it's the guy I described. Any motorcycle gathering should be a bunch of folks getting together to hang with friends, swap stories, meet new people, and enjoy the camaraderie that comes with our sport. And if that gathering involves riding (as it very well should), nothing's worse than that riding with that guy, talented or not, who rides outside of his means and/or in a way that endangers his fellow riders just to prove a point that no one really cares about.

Hopefully you simply misunderstood my post in which case I do apologize. But if you're still offended because my description hit a little too close to home, well...................................

Mike

Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,256,122 times
Believe me, it didn't bother me about the type of bike you referred to. It never fails though how this SAME prejudgement of character seems to come up no matter where you are. The absolute worst is when you go to the track and these dudes are talking about everyone who DOESN'T ride the track every weekend like them. I take no personal offense whatsoever but to ME, this is what makes me so mad. Everybody is free to buy/ride whatever they want wherever they want. If they cannot handle it, then Darwin will take over. All I try to do if the conversation comes up is tell them that practice makes perfect. If they wanna pull up on a shiny new GIXXER or Ducati or whatever, its their money, their toy, i hope they can ride it and good luck. But I never harp on the fact the a new guy went and bout a Busa for his first bike. It was his money. He/she will learn soon enough that they can or can't handle it. Now close friends, I do get a little more personal and offer my very honest opinion. But the whole poser/squid thing is juvenile to me. Just as juvenile as looking at someone elses gear and just because it is not up to your LIKING, you diss them. I say lets all just do our thing and the rest will sort itself out. BTW, I dont like to toot my own horn but I take pride in taming my beast at every opportunity.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,272,292 times
Been a mildly amusing thread to follow. The OP's YouTube link was kinda cute. Reminds me of my first trainer ride a few years ago, a 50cc scooter (I gotta ride autos due to an old war related ankle injury).

I thought the little scooter was a reasonable idea to see if I wanted to really invest in riding, turned me into a riding addict in my retirement. I've got three maxi-scooters and a VFR1200F DCT now and am really enjoying the road.

One of my country road gas/pit stops was also a hangout for local bikers, lots of Harley/big bore machine types. I always got some "looks" and comments when I tooled up on my little scooter, wearing very high end protective gear (not fond of body damage, spent a lot of time in hospitals long ago from the Viet Nam war).

One "bad ass" youngster in particular was fond of "dissing" the old man on the girlie scooter, never gave him much attention, just made my pit stop and puttered on my way. I'm a bit too old to pay much attention to idiots.

One day I showed up at the pit stop with a large bunch of stick-on tape 1" Xs covering most all of the scooter's fairing. The bad ass dude was there and real curious asking what my decorating scheme was all about.

I explained that the Xs were like what combat pilots do on their planes for confirmed kills, except that I had been an infantry grunt in Viet Nam with the Marine Corps. The Xs represented confirmed combat kills.

Nobody ever dissed my rides after that little demonstration.

Ride safe, enjoy whatever ride suits you and just remember - hospitals ARE NOT FUN places to spend time. You have my word on that for sure.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 11-30-2011 at 07:23 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 AM

6,767 posts, read 4,467,936 times
I have known more than a few of these types over the years. I pay no attention to them, as in most cases all talk means they are full of it. I have heard about several some years later that quit riding after getting hurt.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,278,151 times
The worst part is when they try to ride on the street like they do on the track. There aren't any cages or red light to run on a track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles