Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,548,688 times

Advertisements

In ky anyone over the age of 21 doesn't have to wear a helmet. The laws are too crazy and complicated to get into here. My son in law was injured in a motorcycle accident. He was thrown from the cycle and hit headfirst into a fire hydrant..He is fortunate to be alive, he was airlifted to a trauma center where they had to remove some of his skull to relieve swelling. He has a lot of mental problems now and lives on social security..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 12:47 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,729,855 times
I believe laws are set into place not to control people, but to help keep them safe. A law like this would save numerous lives.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,942,311 times
Yes... I'm a female and yes, I ride my own sportbikes. And YES I wear a helmet. Not just because it's the law where I live (Cali) but because I would like to give myself a fighting chance should an accident occur. I care enough about myself and those that have invested time and love into getting to know me.

This past Friday, I crashed one of my bikes. Low-sided; went off the pavement into gravel and slide, with my bike on top of me, for about 30 feet; stopping real close to a telephone pole. While all of this was happening, all I could think about was the smack I heard in my helmet when I hit the pavement. Now, it might not have killed me.... but it would've made my injuries a LOT worse then they were and a lot more 'recovery time'. Thank the Lord I wasn't hurt bad.

I put those that chose not to wear a helmet in the "selfish" catagory. Your ride isn't all about your pleasure. It's also about the concern you have for yourself, your loved ones. Your concern you'd have for a stranger who's life might be changed forever should they hit you.... and this list could go on.

Think you have a $10 head... buy a $10 helmet. Don't think you need a helmet to protect your brain... eh, you're probably right! Your brain might not be worth it!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/Yamaha.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 7,712,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I believe laws are set into place not to control people, but to help keep them safe.
Not to start a fight here but that's one of the most naive things I've read in some time.

Yes helmets add to the safety factor, no question about it. I wear mine on bicycle, motorcycle, life jackets on a boat when off shore etc.. heck I've even got hard hats and chain saw safety stuff...and they're not even required...YET !

But they ARE put in place as a control and to generate income.!! There are many many laws passed by these know nothing jerks to protect me from myself.
But ultimately..It's all about the MONEY.

You don't actually think the clowns in your local state house give a rats behind about your safety do you ??

************************************************** *********************************

canibeyou nice ride...great shot

Last edited by JBrown; 07-03-2007 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM

18,085 posts, read 27,536,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
New Hampshire and Rhode Island have no helmet laws, and that is the way it should be every where: absolutely none of the state's business regardless of how much "nannying" it chooses to do. The arguments about insurance rates and medical bills isn't a sound legal argument and is a myth anyways thanks to the lying, falsified statistical fear-mongering lobbyists and insurance industry: big bucks on the line as always when it comes to any lobbying issues!
I don't propose anyone should ride without a helmet or a fastened seatbelt, but it is absolutely none of the government's business. You want to be stupid, that's your right.
Well said, stuntman. I heard that Harleys and Helmets don't mix. It took me a while to get used to the bike without a windshield. I usually have this fear that a rock is gonna bust my chicklets. Then one day...this is embarassing, but it's the truth: my mom said that if you go get a helmet I'll pay for it, but you have to wear it. It's a Shoei.

Here's the problem, when I have the face shield down, I can barely hear the bike run! It's a really loud bike. I have to concentrate on not getting "comfortable", if you know what I mean.

I live in Colorado, so all I need is eye protection. I like what Seinfeld says about it. The very brain that needs its protection doesn't want to use it.

I know people that have experience with helmets and seatbelts that will tell why their use is MORE dangerous than their non-use. To me, it's about Physics. At least try to protect your coconut for WHEN you go down.

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-03-2007 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: pic

Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 PM

151 posts, read 600,188 times
Default Helmet laws

Here in Fla it was an issue of who would "PAY" medical bills for the uninsured biker who was injured because he/she was not wearing a helmet. Therefore those who do not carry at least $10,000 worth of medical insurance have to wear a helmet!! I do wear a helmet, but respect the rights of those who chose not to.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,738,884 times
I hate to even say it because personally I think you're a moron if you don't do everything that is reasonable to make yourself safer and healthier. The problem is ...what is reasonable? I do think we have a right to be stupid in this country. We do it all the time. I guess I think if you are only hurting yourself you can be as stupid as you want. We protect the rights of the stupid in a million ways including many that "costs" all of us through insurance or taxes. We have to pay for security when the KKK or the Black Panthers want to rally...I think they are all stupid. We have to pay for kids people keep having when they can't afford them and are horrible parents. We pay higher insurance because people choose to smoke. We pay for the people who won't exercise and develop health problems. We pay for those who choose to rot out their livers with liquor. And we pay for all of the overweight people who have tons of health issues.

But...unless you are going to start coming to my house and slapping my martini out of one hand and the ice cream cone out of the other...I think we have to be fair about this. Everybody jumps on a cause du jour because it doesn't affect YOUR rights. But I have to tell you I think we all have a right to be as stupid as we want to be and if the cost to the public were really the issue...we'd all be holding torches and pitchforks outside of McDonalds.

I have to go...my margarita is melting and my fries are getting cold

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,375,732 times
I ride and I don't care who wears a helmet, I do every time I ride, not because it's a law, because I love to ride and I want to ride agian tomorrow and next month and next year. My full face hemet saved my head when I was hit by a car. I wear full gear including earplugs, My bikes not all that loud but even with earplugs I can hear fine.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:12 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,942,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I ride and I don't care who wears a helmet, I do every time I ride, not because it's a law, because I love to ride and I want to ride agian tomorrow and next month and next year. My full face hemet saved my head when I was hit by a car. I wear full gear including earplugs, My bikes not all that loud but even with earplugs I can hear fine.
Oh yeah... gotta wear earplugs! Drowns out the motor noise, which can become hypnotic and distracting.

If you're ever at a loud concert or some other place with lots of noise, and you wanna talk to someone without screaming, simply plug your ears and have whomever you're trying to talk to, plug theirs. Then you can simply use your "indoor voice" and you'll hear each other perfectly fine!

Works the same with earplugs and riding... you actually can hear things around you better.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,729,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Oh yeah... gotta wear earplugs! Drowns out the motor noise, which can become hypnotic and distracting.

If you're ever at a loud concert or some other place with lots of noise, and you wanna talk to someone without screaming, simply plug your ears and have whomever you're trying to talk to, plug theirs. Then you can simply use your "indoor voice" and you'll hear each other perfectly fine!

Works the same with earplugs and riding... you actually can hear things around you better.

Sorry for the threadjack.
That is actually quite interesting! I will file that away for future use for sure! And seriously, does anyone else see canibeyou's photo above? Is it just me or does she resemble Catwoman? I just had to say it because everytime I scroll past that the theme from Batman goes through my head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles