Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times

Advertisements

This is a great reason to avoid the highway in general whenever possible (on the bike). I personally hate lane splitting, and my bike is on the wider side anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times
I avoid Interstates as much as humanly possible on my bikes. The only time I ride them instead of the back roads is at night because it gives me more room and time to avoid deer darting across the road.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
At least the lane splitter got in the correct lane. I like to call it Lane 1.5.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 AM

83 posts, read 228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
It's illegal here in Pennsylvania. Motorcycles are expected to follow exactly the same rules that cars and trucks have to.

I believe that only Texas and California allow legal lane splitting.

Since California is in such dire budget straights, I guess they could save a lot of money not painting lines on their roadways since they only seem to be "suggestions" anyhow???
California is the only state that allows to lane share...
people like this is the reason why we have bad reps...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM

I stand corrected on the legality of lane splitting in Texas...thanks.

Actually, it's not specifically "legal" in California either. There just isn't any law saying you can't do it and the courts and police have upheld that they won't ticket you for it as long as you do it safely.

I don't think I say anything really derogatory....it was just a joke!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's not specifically "legal" in California either. There just isn't any law saying you can't do it and the courts and police have upheld that they won't ticket you for it as long as you do it safely.
In our country ... things are LEGAL unless made illegal by statute. So, since there is "no law saying you can't do it" means it is "legal". So ... yes, it is specifically "legal" in CA.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM

Well, look it up on Wikipedia....it's not "legal", but the courts and the police simply choose not to prosecute you for it.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Well, look it up on Wikipedia....it's not "legal", but the courts and the police simply choose not to prosecute you for it.
I try not to do my legal research on Wikipedia ........

Yes, it IS legal.

illegal = code in the california vehicle code saying its not allowed.

legal = nothing written about it.

Courts CANT prosecute you for something that is not illegal. Its not that they choose not to, its that they CANT. Police don't prosecute anyone - just write citations. Without a vehicle code - there is nothing to cite.

With that being said, a law enforcement officer can come up with dozens of things to cite someone for if they are riding like an idiot between lanes.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
There's lane-splitting cautiously, and then there's being an idiot who tempts fate. I got no problems with the former, but his guy is definitely approaching if not crossing into the latter. As for the legality, Illinois statute is silent on the matter, making it technically legal but not officially endorsed.

What's with the solid white line delineating the far-left lane? Is that a HOV lane or something?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Yes .. "carpool lane" ... there are also two solid yellows, hard to see with the tint on this guy's windscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles