Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,399,605 times

Advertisements

Damn that's cheap, well, I'll be in Dallas, and whatever the cost, it's shaping up to be a lot less than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 PM

7,970 posts, read 26,798,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
$4-5000 would be for the license, yes, then of course you need riding gear (all schools require all bike gear, not jeans, as HD did) which'll set you bask a good $1500-2000.

I was actually thinking I'd get an H-D Sportster, and I was planning on doing all of H-D courses at least (unless they're horribly expensive). I'm generally a relatively collected person, and I know full well that I'd lose a fight with a car anyway, so I wouldn't act stupid.

Thanks for your tips.
I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around $4,000 - $5,000 just for a motorcycle license.

Here in Nebraska, your first motorcycle license costs $26.50. After that it costs nothing to add the endorsement to a valid automobile license.

By the way, you do NOT need all the Harley "gear" to ride. I have absolutely NO H-D gear. I have two helmets. One expensive full-face helmet for highway riding, and another skid-lid for local. The first cost $250, the second about $50. I have a Kevlar-lined leather riding coat for on the road, but I don't wear it when puttering locally. You don't need to dump thousands of dollars into "gear" just to ride a motorcycle.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 PM

3,079 posts, read 5,039,631 times
In PA, your MC learner's permit cost $10. If you take the free MSF course, you get your license. You must have a helmet to ride with a learner's permit. No other gear is required.

Here in Austin, TX, the MSF course looks to run around $200. Texas has funny helmet laws.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
$4-5000 would be for the license, yes, then of course you need riding gear (all schools require all bike gear, not jeans, as HD did) which'll set you bask a good $1500-2000.

I was actually thinking I'd get an H-D Sportster, and I was planning on doing all of H-D courses at least (unless they're horribly expensive). I'm generally a relatively collected person, and I know full well that I'd lose a fight with a car anyway, so I wouldn't act stupid.

Thanks for your tips.
Is that $4-5000 NOK or USD? $2000 for gear? I hope you get a free bike or two with that package.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Is that $4-5000 NOK or USD? $2000 for gear? I hope you get a free bike or two with that package.
Lol, everything is converted to USD.

To Omaha: I'm thinking I'll get a riding jacket (probably leather), two helmets and most definitely a backplate, I like walking, hehe.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Why two helmets?

I just had my first accident and now I'm looking in to riding pants and riding gloves. I was wearing a helmet, armored leather jacket, gloves, and boots, but got some good road rash through my jeans. Someone should have told me you gotta break in new tires.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Well, one full cover helmet, like ze racers use (bc it's far far safer) and one of them slightly cooler looking chopper style helmets because I'm vain.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,068,293 times
What do you get for that 4,000 bucks? Holy Smokes the poly tics and those who think they have a little power are raping the people of Norway.

This is the fee to get a mc endorsement? Just the fee? What comes as a class with that?

And no you won't want a leather jacket in Texas unless it's winter riding there. Think armored mesh.

In west Texas it is way to hot to think leathers, and in east Texas leather will turn green and still be way too hot.

Is this a first bike, or a first bike after a long time away from riding?

As of late Texas is having some legal issues for mc classes, and it is ending as you have no choice but to take a class where the fee is right around 200 bucks. No no other way, which I guess is a bright light to you, but sure isn't for Texans used to living in Texas.

Many states offer much lower rates for MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) which reduces Insurance costs andbi-passed the DMV tests. (Dept of Motor Vehicals, a moot do nothing feed of the system Dept)

I don't know if giving you a link is legal here, but there is a related tale on this site about these fees in Texas.
Hooligan Cruiser Riders, Int'l - Home site address.

Guest room where you can post and chat if you wish with out registering
Hooligan Cruiser Riders, Int'l - Guest Lounge

As a guest you have access to the boards to read, and so the thread related is this.
Hooligan Cruiser Riders, Int'l - PSA for motorcycle riders

Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info Mac.

$4.000 is for riding lessons, final test and mandatory tests (long haul and night riding I believe), it's the driving/riding schools that charge for the riding lessons that's the biggest portion. (around $70-75 for one 45 min lesson).

I do like that it's safe and that no rider without the right level of skill can get into traffic, but it is relatively costly, then again, everything here is, but we make more money to make up for it.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,068,293 times
Well if you went to the site, in Texas this is a big deal. Most other states offer MSF for a much lesser fee. Harley has another program as well mixed up in some states with MSF. What I gave you is current in Texas.

I have been riding since i was 14, legal at 16 on the road and I am 58 now. In my day you learned what you could alone. Rearing a child I let my lic drop and took a 2nd test at the DMV. Worthless tests. I passed that one on a 1981 yammi xs850 sh a moderate size bike that is pretty top heavy, and pretty quick even by todays standards. I wish something like MSF was around way back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles