Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,784 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a small boat for the family (local cruising, dad and son fishing, tubing), and need some advice. Our budget is $5,500, and we are down to 3 boats...

1998 18' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with 120 Mercury Outboard. Has bimini, bow cover, trailer, 2 back to backs and bench seat in rear. Exterior in near mint condition (always washed down and covered), interior in mint, pristine condition. This thing was babied. Seller wants $5,500, non-negotiable.

1998 17.5' Wellcraft Bowrider SX with Volvo Penta 3.5 I/O. Has 2 back to back seat and 2 rear seats. Has bimini only and trailer. Exterior excellent, interior excellent to excellent +. Seller's final price is $3,400.

1998 19' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with 130 (or 135?) Mercruiser I/O. Has bimini, bow cover and trailer. Has 2 back to back seats and 2 rear seats. Exterior excellent, interior excellent. Seller's final price is $4,000.

We fell in LOVE with the 18' Bayliner outboard, but would be very happy with the other 2 boats. My questions are...

1) Which one is the better value (taking into account condition, motor and price)?

2)Which one would YOU choose despite the value?

3)Inboard or outboard motor? My hubby seriously wants inboard only, but is now softening to getting an I/O due to the slim pickings out there in our budget.

4)Is one boat company better than the other?

Spoke to some marine places...the answers are not too great because they want us to buy from them, LOL. Cannot say I blame them either. So if anyone can help us we'd love to hear opinions!

Last edited by LoveBeingAMommy; 06-18-2010 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:26 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
We are looking for a small boat for the family (local cruising, dad and son fishing, tubing), and need some advice. Our budget is $5,500, and we are down to 3 boats...

1998 18' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with 120 Mercury Outboard. Has bimini, bow cover, trailer, 2 back to backs and bench seat in rear. Exterior in near mint condition (always washed down and covered), interior in mint, pristine condition. This thing was babied. Seller wants $5,500, non-negotiable.

1998 17.5' Wellcraft Bowrider SX with Volvo Penta 3.5 I/O. Has 2 back to back seat and 2 rear seats. Has bimini only and trailer. Exterior excellent, interior excellent to excellent +. Seller's final price is $3,400.

1998 19' Bayliner Capri Bowrider with 130 (or 135?) Mercruiser I/O. Has bimini, bow cover and trailer. Has 2 back to back seats and 2 rear seats. Exterior excellent, interior excellent. Seller's final price is $4,000.

We fell in LOVE with the 18' Bayliner outboard, but would be very happy with the other 2 boats. My questions are...

1) Which one is the better value (taking into account condition, motor and price)?

2)Which one would YOU choose despite the value?

3)Inboard or outboard motor? My hubby seriously wants inboard only, but is now softening to getting an I/O due to the slim pickings out there in our budget.

4)Is one boat company better than the other?

Spoke to some marine places...the answers are not too great because they want us to buy from them, LOL. Cannot say I blame them either. So if anyone can help us we'd love to hear opinions!
I will never own another inboard boat. With the modern outboard motors available the I/O's increased upkeep and weight disadvantages just don't appeal to me. Note that is just my opinion.

GL2

Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
Point 1. RUN, dont walk away from Bayliner. Noted for poor quality, and poorer resale value. The Wellcraft at the lowest price here, compared to the two Junkliner, er Bayliners makes this a no brainer.

Point 2. Hubby is on the mark with his desire for strait inboard. Old technology, but from a mainteneance standpoint, the easiest and cheapest. I/O, and Outboard have those "lower units" as the weak link. Something goes bad down there, and it routinely does, the cost to repair is astronomical. Just do a little research on what a gear set will cost you.

While true that the modern four stroke outboards are a huge improvement in efficiency and reliability over their old two stroke counterparts, they are still ungodly expensive to repair. Given the year range noted on your choices, I'd bet they are the older two strokes anyway. Now, compare the cost to replace the "power head" on one of those outboards, to the cost of rebuilding what is basically a marinized automobile engine. Again, you may be surprised. The I/O in the Wellcraft, I would bet is a 4.3L V6 GM block. There's a world of difference in the reliability factor between the two.

All factors considered, given the three choices you have, in your price range. The Wellcraft wins, HANDS DOWN. I still suggest you "sea trial"(they will insist on a deposit on a purchase agreement first, that's fair) the boat before signing on the dotted line to close the deal. Try to take a marine mechanic with you when you do, one of course that is referred to you by a unbiased third party, and NOT the mechanic that the dealer uses to fluff their boats before putting them on the line.

As for the cosmetics, a good detailer, that knows what they are doing can make any boat in that size range look like a million bucks for a few hundred $$$. The mechanical aspects of the boat WILL set you back THOUSANDS, in a heart beat if something goes awry there. Just check what a new propellor will do to your budget, and let your imagination roam into the internal workings of that lower unit from there.

This is of course, all MHO, with a fair amount of knowledge in the area. But again, if your choice has been narrowed to those three boats, the Wellcraft is the best choice, followed by the Bayliner with the I/O. I would dismiss the outboard out of hand.

Yachtcare.......

Last edited by Compression; 06-20-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 06:18 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,784 times
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. We ruled out all three and are negotiating a '96 Four Winns. 20' bowrider with '03 trailer. Includes bimini, moor and bow covers. Ford 305 V8 Fuel Injected motor. Hasn't had manifolds or risers replaced (so I am going to assume we're on borrowed time with them), and will need a tune up, but the guy is in serious need of money (lost job) and needs to sell. The engine started right up, no issues, and let it run for an hour. Wasn't overheating. May be able to get it for $4,500. Is that worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles