Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,110 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone,

I am a first-time homebuyer and in need of assistance.

I made an offer of $172K (subject to actual viewing) to a short-sale home and the offer was accepted.

Now, I need to decide on a mortgage loan; FHA or Conventional w/PMI. The maximum down-payment is $20k (which is only 12% of the sale price).

The current rate that I was provided to is:

FHA: 5.25%
Conventional: 5.35%

My ideal monthly mortgage payment is no more than $1,100.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
for the purposes of this discussion, PMI, MI, MIP are all the same thing.

There's some missing data here, like where you are located (in a declining market?), property type, credit score, how long you plan to be in the home, and if your Adjusted Gross Income eliminates you from deducting PMI (either FHA or conventional). My recommendations would be in this order:

80/10/10 - 80% first, 10% second, 10% down. Results = eliminates PMI. Not available in all market areas. Not all lenders can do this.

90% Financed MI. Again, this eliminates a separate PMI payment, but if your income precludes the write off, the MI is added to your loan amount and you make payments on the total. Downside - if you are going to be there for more than 2 years, you're rate will still reflect the MI rate. Not all lenders offer this.

Conventional 90% w/ MI, assuming qualifying ratios and credit are not an issue

FHA w/ MIP - last because the MI is up front and monthly

Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,907 times
Look to do a first and second as prior poster mentioned. Much better than conventional with PMI and far less expensive than a FHA loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages