Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 PM

335 posts, read 802,197 times

Advertisements

Marmac, you're right, that could be a problem. My husband is still employed and makes excellent money so hopefully the loan could still be an option for us. I'm also hoping to be re-employed fairly soon, not that it makes any difference in the here and now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,958,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What you are describing here is not unlike being upside down in a car loan. When people " trade" in the old car...owe more than its worth in trade in value, then finance the shortfall and fold it into the new loan on the new vehicle.... I wonder if there are banks out there that would work this way ? I can see where a Bank has vested interest in a housing developement , and the developer wants to sell houses where this could be a win for everyone. Puts the home owner deeper in debt , but thats what happens everyday in the car financing world. We could be headed to a point where buying a car is little different than buying a home. They are getting closer in value in some markets where this way of doing business seems like practical. Home financing is way strung out anyway. No loan should be more than 15 years , just like financing a Motor Home, or a trailer house.
I'm willing to say not in our lifetime. Let's say you were short on a BofA payoff - once that happens they will not want to extend you additional credit above and beyond the short amount, into a new loan. And Wells would definitely not want to add debt to their collateral.

Okay......never say never, the government may just invent a program to make the banks add the short to the new loan, but the banks would not do it voluntarily.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 AM

163 posts, read 453,078 times
Just wanted to update. After spending an hour and a half on the phone, mostly on hold, and being transferred to six different people the final answer was that they will only do promissory notes for people doing short sales and since I don't qualify for a short sale they can't/won't do anything for me.

I think our next step is to look at taking out a personal loan to cover the difference. After four weeks on the market we still have no showings. We have an open house scheduled for Sunday but I don't think it will generate anything unless we can significantly lower our price.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 916 times
I completed the short sale of my condo in Minneapolis just about 1 year ago, I did sign a promissory note and my credit report still got dinged with the "Short sale" at the same time the promissory note that I have been paying for the last year does not show in my credit report.. I am tempted to stop paying and save me 200 a month for the next 9 years any advise?

Last edited by Uriel Nunez Valles; 09-16-2011 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: make more clear

Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,963,797 times
There are many people that have been living in their homes for 2-3 years , for free. The Banks are so backed up ,and they do not want to disclose liability as to assets and foreclosures until later , like next year or longer. Everyone is waiting for the home markets to improve all across the country. In some areas that is happening now. , or , never went dow all that much in the first place. Mostly rural northern tier states, and , NYC..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages