Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 01:45 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,318,007 times

Advertisements

I am on the deed to my house, but not on the mortgage. I have been told that if I can prove that I've made the payments on the mortgage over the years, it can help me later on when I try and get a mortgage in my own name (this house or another)... I have made every payment since closing, which was over 3 years ago. The mortgage is held by Chase Bank.

So I haven't been good at this up until now (sometimes I pay in cash at the bank branch, some times with a check, sometimes a money order, etc), but want to start. I am just confused; do I need to write checks each month and mail them in, or can I use my bank's online bill pay and will that be sufficient in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,028,266 times
It is best to pay by either mailing a check or paying on line via your checking account.

Not sure why anybody would tell you if you can prove you were paying it will help you down the road. Since it is not reporting to your credit, it is not going to help you better qualify for any loan in the future.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM

A mortgage lender told me that. Same guy we went to for the loan we (well, my family member) have right now. He said that while it's unofficial sometimes it can still help if you can prove the payments. Hmm.

thx

Old 08-21-2009, 02:53 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,572,154 times
A bank lending their own money can use whatever proof they deem acceptable. I've seen proof of monthly car payments (canceled checks) used to establish credit. A (presumably) larger house payment made every month would be even better.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,028,266 times
very true Debsi, but not so much in today's market.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,572,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
very true Debsi, but not so much in today's market.
Sure, I agree with that. But we don't know what tomorrow's market will hold.. and the OP is asking for advice to help them in future, not right now.

It can't hurt to be so organized and it might help.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 PM

161 posts, read 500,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I am on the deed to my house, but not on the mortgage. I have been told that if I can prove that I've made the payments on the mortgage over the years, it can help me later on when I try and get a mortgage in my own name (this house or another)... I have made every payment since closing, which was over 3 years ago. The mortgage is held by Chase Bank.

So I haven't been good at this up until now (sometimes I pay in cash at the bank branch, some times with a check, sometimes a money order, etc), but want to start. I am just confused; do I need to write checks each month and mail them in, or can I use my bank's online bill pay and will that be sufficient in the future?
All you have to do is provide copies of the voided checks. If you paid electronically, you can get proof of that as well. This isn't hard to do and certainly isn't a big deal whatsoever so don't worry about it. Enquire with the bank you USE to pay the mortgage.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:30 AM

Thanks all. Like Debsi said, it sure as heck can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages