Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
It was appraised for property tax purposes. It may or may not be close to market value.

Of coarse it was appraised for property tax purposes. As you point out may not be close to market value. Appraiser certainly puts no stock in what assessor has. They could care less.
True, but the pool should still be mentioned in the report.

Poster doesn't say the pool wasn't mentioned. Poster feels he is not being given proper value for pool.
Why is that?

Fannie & Freddie don't want anything out of the norm. Is the property a legitamate duplex...doesn't sound like it. Are any of the comparables going to have a minature apartment? Doubt it. This could definitely kill a Fannie Freddie deal.

By either finding houses in competing neighborhoods that DO have apartments and/or by using other accepted appraisal practices to find the contributing value.

USPAP may say that there are other accepted appraisal practices to find the contributing value, but that doesn't mean an underwriter is going to agree.
Why is that relevant?

Because I asked it.

Why is that?
How many people buying single family homes want a miniture apartment attached that they rent out to someone for a few $? Not too many in my neck of the woods. Hence minimal value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
Fannie & Freddie don't want anything out of the norm. Is the property a legitamate duplex...doesn't sound like it. Are any of the comparables going to have a minature apartment? Doubt it. This could definitely kill a Fannie Freddie deal.
Nonsense. Fannie and Freddie will accept most everything provided it is properly explained in the report.

Quote:
USPAP may say that there are other accepted appraisal practices to find the contributing value, but that doesn't mean an underwriter is going to agree.
Has noting to do with USPAP. And as an appraiser I am not concerned with what an Underwriter agrees with or not. If the property does not fit within a certain lender's guidelines the loan officer needs to find a lender whose guidelines will accept it.

Quote:
How many people buying single family homes want a miniture apartment attached that they rent out to someone for a few $? Not too many in my neck of the woods. Hence minimal value.
If an appraiser makes the decision to place minimum value on a property because of the reasons you gave, that appraiser ought to send his/her license back to the state.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Fannie and Freddie will accept most everything provided it is properly explained in the report.

Has noting to do with USPAP. And as an appraiser I am not concerned with what an Underwriter agrees with or not. If the property does not fit within a certain lender's guidelines the loan officer needs to find a lender whose guidelines will accept it.

If an appraiser makes the decision to place minimum value on a property because of the reasons you gave, that appraiser ought to send his/her license back to the state.
#1) Wow, almost anything?? If only it could be so easy. You must appraise in an active cookie cutter market where your lenders don't run into any appraisal issues. Any lenders want to chime in on this one?

Do you think something like a 'mother in law wing' can pose any problems as far as approval? Or how about a log home? Or how about a tiny piece of crap house that has a huge deluxe finished pole barn and seperate high tech deluxe finished workshop? Probably ok as long as you have good comps with similar amenaties. If you don't it doesn't matter how well the appraiser explains it...it will be denied.

How about a million $ property in an area where the highest sale is $300k? You act like a deal has never been scrapped because of the property/appraisal.

#2) That's great, but a borrower is certainly concerned with it. For the most part all lenders are operating under the same guidelines. If it is blatantly denied at one lender because of the property, odds are it will be denied across the board at all lenders (again Fannie Freddie. private sources can make their own decisions.)

#3) was meant to read minimal or no value would be given to the fact that one could rent out this space. Put another way, it's value would just be as GLA not a increase in value for income producing.

Last edited by TimtheGuy; 03-03-2010 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Tim, I am a rural appraiser in Oklahoma and I rarely, if ever, get stipped on my reports. Of which, incidentally, 99% go to Fannie and have included log homes, berm houses, octo-shaped, converted barns, etc etc etc. Never have had a problem.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
You must appraise in an active cookie cutter market..........
Around here making that kind of unsupported assumption can cost you your appraisers license.
Quote:
Do you think something like a 'mother in law wing' can pose any problems as far as approval?
Per lender guidelines or per Fannie/Freddie/FHA guidelines? Fannie etc don't care
Quote:
Or how about a log home?
Done a lot of them....whats the problem?

I did an appraisal on a tract with three barns, a two bedroom two bath log house, a one bedroom one bath log house, a pond on seven acres in Kay County Oklahoma a while back. Not one call from underwriting.
Quote:
Or how about a tiny piece of crap house that has a huge deluxe finished pole barn and seperate high tech deluxe finished workshop?
Again, whats the problem? you report what it is, you support it reasonably, you explain it thoroughly, and go on to the next one.
Quote:
Probably ok as long as you have good comps with similar amenaties.
Or you have a good appraiser who can determine market reaction to those amenities and explain it properly.
Quote:
If you don't it doesn't matter how well the appraiser explains it...it will be denied.
Not if the appraiser is good enough.............
Quote:
How about a million $ property in an area where the highest sale is $300k?
Would a $1.5 million in a neighborhood of $150,000-$200,000 work? did one like that a few months ago. Sailed through without stips.
Quote:
You act like a deal has never been scrapped because of the property/appraisal.
If the appraiser did his/her job, no. It might have been denied but it was not because of the appraisal. And if it was denied due to the type of house it was a lender stip, not fannie or freddie.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Around here making that kind of unsupported assumption can cost you your appraisers license.

Per lender guidelines or per Fannie/Freddie/FHA guidelines? Fannie etc don't care

Done a lot of them....whats the problem?

I did an appraisal on a tract with three barns, a two bedroom two bath log house, a one bedroom one bath log house, a pond on seven acres in Kay County Oklahoma a while back. Not one call from underwriting.

Again, whats the problem? you report what it is, you support it reasonably, you explain it thoroughly, and go on to the next one.

Or you have a good appraiser who can determine market reaction to those amenities and explain it properly.

Not if the appraiser is good enough.............

Would a $1.5 million in a neighborhood of $150,000-$200,000 work? did one like that a few months ago. Sailed through without stips.

If the appraiser did his/her job, no. It might have been denied but it was not because of the appraisal. And if it was denied due to the type of house it was a lender stip, not fannie or freddie.
Wow, you Okie appraisers must be incredible.

How about this scenario: Year round lake home on a Northern MN lake. Only access to the property is by 10-20 minute boat ride. Property surrounded by state forest land. There are no roads to the property. Is it eligible for Fannie Freddie financing?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Wow, you Okie appraisers must be incredible.
We sure are

Quote:
How about this scenario: Year round lake home on a Northern MN lake. Only access to the property is by 10-20 minute boat ride. Property surrounded by state forest land. There are no roads to the property. Is it eligible for Fannie Freddie financing?
Possibly. It depends.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
We sure are

Possibly. It depends.
What would it depend on?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
Quote:
Wow, you Okie appraisers must be incredible
Not all, but I am. Annemieke is is incredible as well.......I trained her.
Quote:
What would it depend on?
Simply because a property isn't conventional isn't a reason Fannie or Freddie turns down a loan. It has a lot to do with health and safety issues. There are also housing durability issues that have to be answered to make a house eligible. But the guidelines are loose enough that one should never assume it will be denied a loan.........Fannie, Freddie, and FHA WILL consider just about any property.......provided a detailed explanation of any deviation from guidelines are included.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Not all, but I am. Annemieke is is incredible as well.......I trained her.

Simply because a property isn't conventional isn't a reason Fannie or Freddie turns down a loan. It has a lot to do with health and safety issues. There are also housing durability issues that have to be answered to make a house eligible. But the guidelines are loose enough that one should never assume it will be denied a loan.........Fannie, Freddie, and FHA WILL consider just about any property.......provided a detailed explanation of any deviation from guidelines are included.
Quote:
Simply because a property isn't conventional isn't a reason Fannie or Freddie turns down a loan.
Actually it can be.

The scenario I gave (year round lake home with boat only access) was an actual deal of mine a few months ago. I sell direct to Freddie. It was clear cut on whether or not this situation would be approvable. We had to call Freddie to find out if it was approvable.

It would be approvable only if there were comps with similar access and commentary from the appraiser that this type of situation is common for the area. If there were no comps with similar access dead deal period (no matter how good the appraiser was). Not a lender stip as we are the lender (I suppose you could look at it as we would be stipping ourselves ). This is straight from Freddie.

I also sell loans to wholesalers as a correspondent lender. They basically operate on the same premise that if there aren't comps and/or it isn't common for the area, a deal can go south based on property (i.e. log home, mother in law wing, over built for the area, too much value in outbuildings, etc.).

Quote:
Fannie and Freddie don't lend money, the lenders do it. So ya, of coarse it is a lender stip that can deny it on type of property. But as you can see above underwriters revert to Fannie and Freddie and their guidelines to see what they can do. Put another way, lender stips are basically just an extension of Fannie Freddie guidelines. Sure lenders can add requirements above and beyond Fannie Freddie guidelines, i.e. 620 minimum FICO, but it usually has more to do with credit qualifying than property requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages