Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,770 times

Advertisements

I'm a first-time home buyer and have a situation. I spotted a house listed for $109,000 and made an offer of 94,900, which was rejected. Next, I raised my offer to 101,000 and the offer was accepted. Great, except that the next day, I look online and see that the seller has dropped the listing price to 94,500: LOWER THAN MY FIRST OFFER! Do I have any options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 01:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,806,057 times
Nope.

This happens the other way too, where another offer comes in HIGHER than the seller's agreed to price.

Timing is everything, some web sites are updated a lot less frequently than they should be.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,227,470 times
I would use the inspection to get some money back. They are prepared for the lower price mentaly. Why not try it.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,273,718 times
If the state you live in offers a contract review period, you can tell teh buyer that you'll walk away if they do'nt renogotiate. I'm sure your real estate attorney can find something "wrong" with the contract. What is your buyers agent saying?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 PM

While I think what MeInDenudin is suggesting is at least a bit "weasely" I can at least rationalize it as no house is truly in "perfect" condition and if the inspection turns up some things that REALLY ought to be addressed that is a legitimate purpose of the inspection.

To suggest that the contract review period is an appropriate time to reopen price negotiations, however, is not something I would condone. The purpose of that period is to address REAL ISSUES that may exist, not use the attorney as some sort of "muscle" to get the seller to cry uncle. The VAST majority of offers and contracts in my neck of the woods use STANDARDIZED documents so that the lawyer's review is mostly for the buyer to go through a checklist of title companies, insurance carriers, inspection reports and other details that do need to be in place before closings can be discussed. If people ABUSE this period it is very likely that even sellers in a BUYERS market will balk and this period will be cut down to something that truly does not give people enough time to get everything lined up for closing.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,227,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I think what MeInDenudin is suggesting is at least a bit "weasely" I can at least rationalize it as no house is truly in "perfect" condition and if the inspection turns up some things that REALLY ought to be addressed that is a legitimate purpose of the inspection.
This people just reject his offer and cut the listing price to below offer. So, I don't see anything wrong in asking. With or without rationalization, inspection will bring a host of things. It is subjective what's "REALLY ought to be addressed" as you put it.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM

948 posts, read 2,804,730 times
I have seen people do this in order to keep some activity on the property, and if the seller is lucky they may get a back up offer which keeps pressure on the potential buyer from nitpicking the inspection. If you like the property and you think it is a fair value I think you should move forward as usual.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm not sure what will come of what I did. I spoke with my agent and we decided to offer an amendment to the contract lowering my offer. Maybe it will save me some $$$, but if not I'm going to go ahead with my higher offer anyway. I think it's still a deal at the higher price, but it never hurts to try.

Thanks all!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Default Value is the reason you buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget7803 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm not sure what will come of what I did. I spoke with my agent and we decided to offer an amendment to the contract lowering my offer. Maybe it will save me some $$$, but if not I'm going to go ahead with my higher offer anyway. I think it's still a deal at the higher price, but it never hurts to try.

Thanks all!
I think you are looking at this with sanity and rationality: the price you offered was a fair value to you!

The knowledge that you got from the web that you "missed out" on a price cut is not a good feeling, but that reflects the FEAR and UNCERTAINTY of the seller, not necessarily anything else.

Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks Chet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages