Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM

38 posts, read 184,011 times

Advertisements

It looks like the bank is going to accept our offer on a home. It is in the final stage of approval, after going through the counter-offer process. Over the weekend, the previous owners removed all of the appliances from the home. Coupled with a few missing shingles on the roof (no leaking though) and the fact that one of the rooms has windows too high for escapability, we think that a streamline 203k loan may be our best option on this house.

Can anyone walk us through the steps? Once we receive the signed contract from the bank, do we have the FHA appraisal first, or the home inspection? What will we need to do to close? Are the closing costs going to be higher? Should we be looking for a contractor now for the window? Pricing on appliances? As far as I can tell, we won't need the consultant because this is a streamline - is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,208,173 times
We are in the middle of doing this process as well. My husband is handling most of the nitty gritty details, but so far I can tell you the order we went through:

1) Offer accepted on house
2) Had a home inspection
3) Had several general contractors come in, then provide us with his estimate for repairs *
4) Gave this estimate to our loan officer

* I highly recommend you do this very soon after the home inspection. Contractors are notoriously slow, and you really should be dealing with more than one for estimates.

Not sure about the consultant - I'll ask my husband when he gets home. Keep in mind, you need EVERYTHING to be signed off by a LICENSED contractor, even work you do yourself, and the funds get disbursed through the contractor as well. It can be a bit aggravating, from what we are experiencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages