Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,973,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
So I know of someone who bought a house in the upper 400's with a 40 year mortgage. she doesnt even make 50k a year and hubby works construction but doesnt make a lot. Im wondering doesnt these 40 year mortgages spell T.R.O.U.B.L.E? I mean i had never heard of it before. is this the new craze?

p.s.
she bought end of last year.

Getting back on topic... there were also 45 and 50 year term mortgages written. They have been used in Europe and Japan for years where home prices were MUCH higher than in the US. Some countries even have a 100 year mortgage.

Yes it lowers the payment, but as many mentioned you are basically paying very little towards principle and a huge amount of interest over the life of the loan. The benefits are 1) potential appreciation 2) lifestyle choice 3) tax benefits.

You can always pay the loan down early, but it is rarely expected anyone will even pay off a 30 year loan before they sell or refinance into another 30 year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,384,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
Getting back on topic... there were also 45 and 50 year term mortgages written. They have been used in Europe and Japan for years where home prices were MUCH higher than in the US. Some countries even have a 100 year mortgage.

Yes it lowers the payment, but as many mentioned you are basically paying very little towards principle and a huge amount of interest over the life of the loan. The benefits are 1) potential appreciation 2) lifestyle choice 3) tax benefits.

You can always pay the loan down early, but it is rarely expected anyone will even pay off a 30 year loan before they sell or refinance into another 30 year.
I believe during their ten years of stagflation Japan started using 100 year mortgages. These things sound very strange to us because the US public is so tuned in to 15 or 30 year time frames. Hypothetically, let's say a family in Japan wants to purchase a home that will remain in the family for several generations. The grandchildren will be guaranteed shelter without having to come up with a down payment for another house and the monthly payment should be relatively low compared to their wages 40 years from now.

Another hypothetical in the US: A person is retiring and is 65 years old.
They want to build their dream retirement house, but can't afford it. If they take a 40 year (the longer the better) mortgage, they can afford the monthly payments. Of course they will be dead before they accumulate any equity. Who cares?

My point is that these seemingly strange loans MAY be an appropriate strategy in unique situations. Of course, based upon the current housing/credit crisis, the caveat is, if you are going to engage in "creative" borrowing, you BETTER be knowledgeable".

Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,169,233 times
Interesting to hear the various points of view. From my perspective, I don't know anyone (yet) who has chosen a 40 year mortgage, but I know several people who started with a 30 year term, and then over the years refinanced several times for higher amounts, with a new 30 year mortgage each time. Some of them never expect to pay off the mortgage. So a 40 year mortgage isn't such an oddity, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages