Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM

27,224 posts, read 47,073,923 times

Advertisements

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/15/real...ex.htm?cnn=yes

They should have done this years ago, maybe a little less strict, but nothing like this would have happened. Now the probable are going to overdo it so people who are walking away are stuck in their rentals with high rents, for others it is too bad and I feel sorry for the once who really couldn't help it getting in trouble just because of really bad advise and/or health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,301,418 times
"These days, home buyers almost always have to make a substantial down payment, at least 5%"

Since when did 5% become substantial? Maybe if you cannot afford 5%, you should not be buying a house of that value or at all.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM

472 posts, read 877,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
"These days, home buyers almost always have to make a substantial down payment, at least 5%"

Since when did 5% become substantial? Maybe if you cannot afford 5%, you should not be buying a house of that value or at all.

True... but you live in Houston... so 5% on a house could mean $5K.

5% on a house in my neighborhood could mean $20K.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,655,259 times
FHA still allows 3% down payment which can be given by the seller....

Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,984,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
True... but you live in Houston... so 5% on a house could mean $5K.

5% on a house in my neighborhood could mean $20K.

Thats irrelevant... If the average home is $400,000 (so 5% is $20,000) and all you have is $5000, maybe buying is outside your reach for right now. I (of course) am not a fan of large down payments, but expecting 3% down is not unreasonable for lenders. Its fair to expect some risk on the part of the buyer and for them to show the capacity to save.

It stinks to be priced out of the market, but I think we learned that the solution is not 100% financing, low doumentation or teaser rates. I know, it became PC that all American's have a right to a home and the drive was to increase homeownership to unprecented levels. While that may be a good thing in theory, at times its best to step back and make sure its sustainable.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 PM

84 posts, read 493,839 times
Quote:

My husband and I recently moved from CA to TN. We are currently renting an apt., and have been renters in CA as well. My husband makes decent money in the IT field, we have 1 car payment, 1 low CC balance, & I am currently staying home with my 1 yr old son, and we do without a lot of nice things. I also have excellent credit. We have been trying to save money so that we can purchase a house soon. I still don't think it will be enough for a 5% down though.

My response to the quote is: How in the heck are you supposed to be able to save money with high rents, increasing gas prices, not to mention the prices for food & other goods. It's sad times when a husband has to work 2 jobs, or a mom has to go to work (having to pay for child care at that) to make a 5% down to buy a house.

I'm in my early 30's, and it is rough for us. Definately way worse than my parents had it.

I have always been very responsible with money matters, and it has gotten me nowhere!!! Just wanna say "thanks" to all the people who screwed everyone by buying houses they could not afford!

Hopefully things will get better instead of worse. I'm sick of renting!!!!

OK, I feel better now.............

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,977,326 times
Quote:

Whatever you say...Bill Gates.

Last edited by dorado0359; 07-17-2008 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: error

Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 AM

380 posts, read 2,359,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamazing75 View Post
My husband and I recently moved from CA to TN. We are currently renting an apt., and have been renters in CA as well. My husband makes decent money in the IT field, we have 1 car payment, 1 low CC balance, & I am currently staying home with my 1 yr old son, and we do without a lot of nice things. I also have excellent credit. We have been trying to save money so that we can purchase a house soon. I still don't think it will be enough for a 5% down though.

My response to the quote is: How in the heck are you supposed to be able to save money with high rents, increasing gas prices, not to mention the prices for food & other goods. It's sad times when a husband has to work 2 jobs, or a mom has to go to work (having to pay for child care at that) to make a 5% down to buy a house.

I'm in my early 30's, and it is rough for us. Definately way worse than my parents had it.

I have always been very responsible with money matters, and it has gotten me nowhere!!! Just wanna say "thanks" to all the people who screwed everyone by buying houses they could not afford!

We've been renters all our adult lives too, studying hard, working hard, saving. But there was no way we could buy a house here in Calif the last few years. We didn't know how anyone else could do it, not realizing all these no doc, zero down, etc loans were such the norm. We just kept saving and hoping we'd somehow save enough. Well, thanks to the bubble burst in housing, prices have finally started to come down enough that we at least have 10% saved, and don't have to get into a bidding war to buy a home. And because we could never afford a home, we have nothing to sell that would prevent us from buying.

Be patient, keep saving and I think the continuing crash of the housing market will help more folks like you and me by bringing prices back down to where they should be. Don't know if it can get back to how our parents had it, but you never know.

At least, that's my optimistic view of all this mess . . .

Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,403,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Whatever you say...Bill Gates.
Try to set aside the emotional or societal "fairness aspects" of being required to come up with a significant down payment. Obviously "significant" or "substantial" are relative terms and are perceived differently depending upon your personal circumstance, and whether you are the buyer or lender.

If you are objective in evaluating a home sale as a business transaction, both Poltracker and rcarrillo have valid points. Clearly, the "walk-away" trend for mortgages in trouble is exacerbated by lack of equity, and people are less motivated if they have none of their money being risked. Historically, the reference standard for down payments was 20% when I first started buying houses. People saved, borrowed, bought a "starter" house and WAITED until they could afford it. The points of Poltracker and rcarrillo were that when people do this, the chance of successfully retaining the house are greater.

Although many people out of anger may agree with the sentiment
of your quip on Bill Gates, it is irrelevant to understanding one of the core reasons for the current housing debacle.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM

3,766 posts, read 12,480,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamazing75 View Post

I'm glad you feel better but I have some news for you. Home ownership is not a RIGHT that is owed to you but a PRIVLEGE to be earned. Saving is not easy - you have to give things up to do it. When we saved for our home, we put every cent we could in our savings account. That means we did not eat out, go to movies or go on vacation. We shopped at Walmart for clothes rather than a department stores and the thermostat was set 5 degrees higher in summer and 5 degrees lower in winter to save on electricity...I can go on and name a thousand other little things we did to save money. Long story short - it took almost 10 years to have enough money saved that we could buy the home that we wanted - with a down payment. We did it a dollar at a time. Stop making excuses and and lookiing for someone to hand you your dream - work for it and make it work. You will appreciate it much more in the end. Yup - I feel better now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages