Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 AM

35 posts, read 152,965 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

Can we qualify for a conventional loan if we just have 20% down and not so established credit history? I have an established credit history and a credit score of 700-720 but I don't make enough to get a loan for the the price range of the houses we are considering. My wife's credit score is 730 but she does not have sufficient credit history (less than a year working here in the U.S.). She makes enough to get a loan on her own for the price range we are considering.

We have been approved for an FHA loan but would like to get a conventional loan with 20% down payment to eliminate the PMI fees.

Is the Nehemiah program available for conventional loans?

What are the advantages of buying a foreclosed property?

Last edited by solanoMan; 07-02-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,603,090 times
I think all conventional loans require at least 2yrs for employment, credit, and residency. FHA only requires 1yr for credit.

Nehemiah can only work with government loans, and not conventional.
If you have to use Nehemiah, then you really dont have 20% down.
Nehemiah is to help you structure a down payment assistance.
On regular conventional loans, the seller can pay for your closing costs without the help of Nehemiah.

The advantage of buying a foreclosure is that you may find a nice home for a very good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solanoMan View Post
Hello everyone.

Can we qualify for a conventional loan if we just have 20% down and not so established credit history? I have an established credit history and a credit score of 700-720 but I don't make enough to get a loan for the the price range of the houses we are considering. My wife's credit score is 730 but she does not have sufficient credit history (less than a year working here in the U.S.). She makes enough to get a loan on her own for the price range we are considering.

We have been approved for an FHA loan but would like to get a conventional loan with 20% down payment to eliminate the PMI fees.

Is the Nehemiah program available for conventional loans?

What are the advantages of buying a foreclosed property?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,187,447 times
No bank will lend to you if you don't make enough money to afford the house, or haven't consistently for at least two years or so.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 PM

392 posts, read 1,540,751 times
Need the income to justify the loan. We are requesting 580 credit on conv. Some banks may go below this still at an 80 ltv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages