Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 PM

237 posts, read 967,434 times

Advertisements

Hi does anyone know where the best place right now is to get a 30 year fixed mortage. Bank of America seems pretty good with no closing or application fees. Also do you get a higher mortage if your not paying your insurance and taxes through your mortgage? Im in Massachusetts. Thanks Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Shop 3 lenders and see what they have to offer.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Hi does anyone know where the best place right now is to get a 30 year fixed mortage. Bank of America seems pretty good with no closing or application fees. Also do you get a higher mortage if your not paying your insurance and taxes through your mortgage? Im in Massachusetts. Thanks Mindy
Shop around. Are you looking for conforming? Jumbo? Work with a hybrid mortgage bank as they have access to numerous lenders' rates as well as their own.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
More important than the best rate is a loan that will be funded at the closing table. The crisis from last summer isn't over yet, there are still issues with some brokers. Be very careful with those that advertise low note rates only to sock you with junk fees on your HUD statement, which you don't see until 24-48 hours of your closing. If you are working with a good Buyer Agent ask her/him for some recommendations of reputable, local (brick and mortar) places where you can interview a loan officer before making a decision.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM

61 posts, read 403,019 times
Default Low rates

Check Compare Mortgage Rates | CD Rates | Home Equity Loans Mortgages Quotes Best Rate Calculator Bankrate.com

Also if you are super qualified and have great credit most local (state chartered) banks will offer low rates and don't charge extra apr for most jumbo's (over $417K). This is the best option if you qualify. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,135,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
There is a .25% fee (to costs not rate) that is charged if you don't escrow for taxes and insurance. You only have this option if you are putting 20% down. You may or may not see this fee if you opt to go this route as it may be built into the interest rate.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 AM

542 posts, read 1,684,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
There is a .25% fee (to costs not rate) that is charged if you don't escrow for taxes and insurance. You only have this option if you are putting 20% down. You may or may not see this fee if you opt to go this route as it may be built into the interest rate.
I also recommend you shop around and compare not only the rate but the expected costs as well. I do know for Bank of America, there is not a fee to wiave the escrow with their No Fee Mortgage Plus program. There typically is with other lenders though as stated above. Not all lenders will allow you to waive escrow.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,016 times
I just come from B of A for other business and they tried to sell me on their "no fee" mortgage. Was not impressed. They were trying to charge me 2 + points to get a 5.75 mortgage rate. Their posted rate was 6%. Their total closing costs ended up being about $8000 on a $200k mortgage. The difference in rate and apr was more than .2%. I just thought their program was a joke to me. Maybe in some circumstances, with no pmi it would make sense, but not in my case. Point is, be sure to shop around. I have been told they can pull your credit for mortgage as much as possible within 30 days for mortgage with no penalty on your credit score. Liz

Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,135,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
I also recommend you shop around and compare not only the rate but the expected costs as well. I do know for Bank of America, there is not a fee to wiave the escrow with their No Fee Mortgage Plus program. There typically is with other lenders though as stated above. Not all lenders will allow you to waive escrow.
Did you see the part about "built into the rate"?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,585,075 times
a lot of lenders give good rates/loans to borrowers...

then when the word gets out.....it's time to raise those fees/rates!

this happens with wholesale lenders as well.
They lower the rates so all the brokers go to them.
Once they receive a lot of business, they start raising the rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages