Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 09:08 AM

76 posts, read 365,396 times

Advertisements

How does a second loan morgage works? Are there any type of loans for home owners who don't have equity in their homes that need to pay off bills? For instance I owe Federal and state taxes and need about $50-60,000 to get out of this debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:13 AM

113 posts, read 278,916 times
I work for the bank with the stagecoach and we do not do approve second mortgages aka home equity loans for people that are upside down. It works pretty much like your first mortgage. It is a loan against your home and if you fail to make your payments, your house will be foreclosed. Now, the reason why you may not be able to get one is, Think about it! If you owe more than what your home is worth, why would anybody give you even more money?

Last edited by condorito; 03-02-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM

76 posts, read 365,396 times
Default First of all

I don't owe more than what my home is worth. I don't have any equity in my home yet because I just bought it a 9 months ago. I just wanted a way to pay of some debt. I guess I will have to wait until I get equity in my home.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,983,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleroll View Post
I don't owe more than what my home is worth. I don't have any equity in my home yet because I just bought it a 9 months ago. I just wanted a way to pay of some debt. I guess I will have to wait until I get equity in my home.
Home equity lines of credit and home equity loans (2nd mortgages) are extra monies borrowed against already existing equity in the property and even this has restrictions on it: most banks won't let you have more than a total of, say, 80% worth of outstanding loans compared to your property's value. If you don't have equity yet, you won't qualify for such a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages