Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,099 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I have a question that I need some help with.

I live in Michigan but dabbled in real estate in Ft Myers. One "investment" I got involved in was loaning a property owner $10,000 on one of his investment properties. It was recorded as a second mortgage and was done in my name personally and not in a corporation's name. He paid off the loan as promised and the title company sent me the satisfaction of mortgage that I completed and sent back to them.

Turns out the title company went out of business and never had the satifaction of mortgage recorded in Lee county, which I never knew about until now.

Fast forward a year later and the property that I loaned money on is being foreclosed. I received a summons showing me as a defendant in the foreclosure which is quite unsettling to me. I have since recorded the satisfaction of mortgage with Lee county and sent it to the law firm handling the foreclosure. I am awaiting word from them hopefully dismissing me from the case but it has been 10 days and I have heard nothing.

I just need to know from any experts out there if I have anything to really worry about, I just don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards From Michigan,

SPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,252,850 times
Smile 2nd mortgage

You did the right thing. As a mortgage broker, we see this often.

I know Lee County has had a hard time.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,099 times
Hi Bette,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I need some reassurance here!

Do I have anything to worry about financially(credit-wise) or legally because of this? The property has not yet foreclosed and the law firm handling the case has a copy of the recorded satisfaction, but they are slow to respond.

Tell me evrything is A-OK so I can enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!!

Regards,

SPG

Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 AM

68 posts, read 238,165 times
And I'm guessing you haven't had a lot of dealings with lawyers or the legal system. 10 days? They maybe have the envelope opened by now. Be patient. If you are in the right these things "almost" always work out for the best inthe end.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM

26 posts, read 95,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spg356 View Post
Hi Bette,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I need some reassurance here!

Do I have anything to worry about financially(credit-wise) or legally because of this? The property has not yet foreclosed and the law firm handling the case has a copy of the recorded satisfaction, but they are slow to respond.

Tell me evrything is A-OK so I can enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!!

Regards,

SPG
Everything is A-OK. You were a lien on the property not a borrower or co-signer. Im sure the bank sent you the letter just to make it known that as the 1st lien holder they would be foreclosing and collecting their money before You (the 2nd lien position) had a chance to collect yours (which according to you, have already been paid) Based on this scenario you are all GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages