Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is going through a foreclosure right now as we speak..she just missed her first payment. The condo she lived in went Section 8, the HOA fee's increased and they miscalculated the taxes...payments went up 500/month and the place is turning into a ghetto.

Her score right now is a 700....obviousely it will change soon and it will plummet to a 400 after the foreclosure. She makes 35-40K a year. Her debt is only 430/month (car only)

I was planning to purchase a house in a couple of months..... I grossed 91k last year and my debt is only 460/month (car only) and my fico is 680.

This is my question.....I was planning to only use my income and credit for qualifications purpose since my girl's credit will be ruined. BUT.....can I just use her for income purposes since our combined income will mean a higher loan amount ? I do not want her on the title.....and I don't want to use her credit...just her income to help me get a higher loan. Can this be done?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
My girlfriend is going through a foreclosure right now as we speak..she just missed her first payment. The condo she lived in went Section 8, the HOA fee's increased and they miscalculated the taxes...payments went up 500/month and the place is turning into a ghetto.

Her score right now is a 700....obviousely it will change soon and it will plummet to a 400 after the foreclosure. She makes 35-40K a year. Her debt is only 430/month (car only)

I was planning to purchase a house in a couple of months..... I grossed 91k last year and my debt is only 460/month (car only) and my fico is 680.

This is my question.....I was planning to only use my income and credit for qualifications purpose since my girl's credit will be ruined. BUT.....can I just use her for income purposes since our combined income will mean a higher loan amount ? I do not want her on the title.....and I don't want to use her credit...just her income to help me get a higher loan. Can this be done?

Thanks !
If you use her income you will have to use her credit. Whether she is on the title or not she is still responsible for the money borrowed by being a co-borrower... and if she's in foreclosure now I would not use her.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times
understood. But on the applications they sometimes ask you what is your household income. If she is technically a roomate since we are not married, can I not claim her as income from other sources (ie roomate) ??

Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
understood. But on the applications they sometimes ask you what is your household income. If she is technically a roomate since we are not married, can I not claim her as income from other sources (ie roomate) ??
"Household" income on a mortgage application? Not on any I've seen. On credit card applications, yes.

Mortgage is about those people specifically responsible for the loaned money. These people are named, researched and obligated.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
Quote:
BUT.....can I just use her for income purposes since our combined income will mean a higher loan amount ? I do not want her on the title.....and I don't want to use her credit...just her income to help me get a higher loan. Can this be done?

Thanks !
You want to use her income to get a higher mortgage which will make her responsible for the loan yet you do not want her on the title and she is ok with this ?

Maybe one one of the Mortgage guys like twilomike can answer if it is even possible to have someone on the loan but not the deed .

Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,585,696 times
it is possible....you can find a lender that is willing to do this...or you can try to quick claim after.

FHA allows non-occupant coborrowers.....

Something tells me that you guys bought the first home together.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
You want to use her income to get a higher mortgage which will make her responsible for the loan yet you do not want her on the title and she is ok with this ?

Maybe one one of the Mortgage guys like twilomike can answer if it is even possible to have someone on the loan but not the deed .
renriq02 laid it out as is.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:50 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
thanks as usual reniq02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages