Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:31 AM

671 posts, read 901,140 times

Advertisements

So I know I need 20% of the home's value paid off to get rid of it. (I do have a date listed, but I pay a little extra to principal each month.)

I was wondering if there were any ways to get rid of it early? I would be willing to pay a sum of cash to principal (but currently do not have enough to get me to 20%).

Is the home value what I paid for it or the appraised amount or something different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Here is how it goes generally. BTW, if you ask your lender, they will send you the exact information as applied to your case. This may slightly differ from lender to lender.

1) there is requirement for no-late payment history- at least you need to have a year or more clean payment history.

2) the 20% rule is if you pay to the 80% of the original appraised value. They will order an appraisal that need to show that you still have 20% in the property meaning current appraisal need to show at least the one that the current loan was based on.

3) if your current equity is NOT 20% of the original appraised value (doesn't mean 20% of market value) but your think that your house value increased more than the previously appraised value as combination of market and update that you have done, you need 25% equity for them to remove it.

Since you said you do not have 20% equity in the house (whatever method that you used to determine this), you keep putting extra and watch your local market. When you think that the combination of your local market, your extra payment, and update you do to the house is significant enough, ask for the removal. Then they would order an appraisal.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:24 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,916,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Here is how it goes generally. BTW, if you ask your lender, they will send you the exact information as applied to your case. This may slightly differ from lender to lender.

1) there is requirement for no-late payment history- at least you need to have a year or more clean payment history.

2) the 20% rule is if you pay to the 80% of the original appraised value. They will order an appraisal that need to show that you still have 20% in the property meaning current appraisal need to show at least the one that the current loan was based on.

3) if your current equity is NOT 20% of the original appraised value (doesn't mean 20% of market value) but your think that your house value increased more than the previously appraised value as combination of market and update that you have done, you need 25% equity for them to remove it.

Since you said you do not have 20% equity in the house (whatever method that you used to determine this), you keep putting extra and watch your local market. When you think that the combination of your local market, your extra payment, and update you do to the house is significant enough, ask for the removal. Then they would order an appraisal.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Good Suggestion - ask your lender, they will send you the exact information as applied to your case.

Adding - they would order an appraisal - OP has to pay for.....

Old 04-29-2015, 12:39 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
So I know I need 20% of the home's value paid off to get rid of it. (I do have a date listed, but I pay a little extra to principal each month.)

I was wondering if there were any ways to get rid of it early? I would be willing to pay a sum of cash to principal (but currently do not have enough to get me to 20%).

Is the home value what I paid for it or the appraised amount or something different?
If you get close to 20% but not quite there, you might be able to get a 90% LTV HELOC and pay down the 1st loan enough to drop PMI. If you only need to borrow a little bit to do it, the interest cost you add is likely to be less than you save by dropping PMI.

For example, if you have 17% equity, you could qualify for a 90% LTV heloc, which would give you a limit of 7% of the appraised value (90%-(100%-17%)). You would write a big check from your HELOC to your mortgage, designated as principal reduction, of 3% of the original purchase value of the property, which is well within the limit of the HELOC. Once the transaction clears the 1st loan would then be at 80% LTV based on original price, allowing you to drop PMI. Do the math for your case and see what your breakeven point is on PMI vs. extra interest.

You also don't lose any tax deduction since the HELOC debt would still be acquisition debt.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:30 PM

658 posts, read 724,495 times
How long have you been living in the house? Read the purchasing contract thoroughly as well to make sure you understand the agreements between you and the lender. If you're currently underwater and have been in the house for more than a year, first try to seek out to home affordable program and refinance to a lower rate.

Do you do a 80/20 loan or a 80/10/10? or 90/10?

Either way, you still have tax deduction in the end of the year but, PMI is free money to the lender.

good luck

Old 04-29-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you get close to 20% but not quite there, you might be able to get a 90% LTV HELOC and pay down the 1st loan enough to drop PMI. If you only need to borrow a little bit to do it, the interest cost you add is likely to be less than you save by dropping PMI.

For example, if you have 17% equity, you could qualify for a 90% LTV heloc, which would give you a limit of 7% of the appraised value (90%-(100%-17%)). You would write a big check from your HELOC to your mortgage, designated as principal reduction, of 3% of the original purchase value of the property, which is well within the limit of the HELOC. Once the transaction clears the 1st loan would then be at 80% LTV based on original price, allowing you to drop PMI. Do the math for your case and see what your breakeven point is on PMI vs. extra interest.

You also don't lose any tax deduction since the HELOC debt would still be acquisition debt.
Really? You think the lender won't check any other junior loan on the property? This is robbing Peter to pay Paul, which is not going to fly.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:41 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Really? You think the lender won't check any other junior loan on the property? This is robbing Peter to pay Paul, which is not going to fly.
It's exactly what they do in a piggyback loan. The only difference is that it is being done after the property was purchased, not at the same time.

Of course OP should read the mortgage contract to be sure.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 AM

671 posts, read 901,140 times
Quote:

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
It says 80% of the purchase price or original appraised value.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:00 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
You are using a mighty broad brush for a single stroke. I do this all day long, in all 50 States, on fixed rate and portfolio ARMs, replace loans with PMI with combo loans. The last analysis I ran for a borrower was saving the family $377 per month - their PMI was not deductible, but now their interest is and they were far from a credit risk.

Also, not all lenders require 25% equity to remove PMI. We require 20%. The Homeowners Disclosure Improvement Act requires all lenders to have a written policy regarding their requirements to remove PMI. YMMV - so definitely contact your lender.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You are using a mighty broad brush for a single stroke. I do this all day long, in all 50 States, on fixed rate and portfolio ARMs, replace loans with PMI with combo loans. The last analysis I ran for a borrower was saving the family $377 per month - their PMI was not deductible, but now their interest is and they were far from a credit risk.

Also, not all lenders require 25% equity to remove PMI. We require 20%. The Homeowners Disclosure Improvement Act requires all lenders to have a written policy regarding their requirements to remove PMI. YMMV - so definitely contact your lender.
You are refinancing with closing cost not simply removing the PMI, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages