Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,835 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are building a new home out in Queen Creek. We are young and first time home buyers, very new to this sort of stuff and have rented apartments the 4 years we've been married. Anyway, on with it. We will have a mortgage of $160,000. The lender that we are going through has quoted us a monthly mortgage payment of $1240-ish (this includes taxes, HOA fees, mortgage ins, etc.). We were just wondering if that was a fair/good payment. I'm a long-time lurker here and know there are quite a bit of wonderful people here with the expertise to tell us.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,909 times
That doesn't seem too high considering that it also includes your HOA dues.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 54,378 times
I agree, that sounds reasonable with everything included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
That doesn't seem too high considering that it also includes your HOA dues.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:32 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,639 times
What's the quoted rate? All the other parts of your mortgage payment are fixed and they are what they are.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:19 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,777 times
A couple of things. First, is this a fixed rate 30 yr mortgage? Also, what's the interest rate? Where I live in Florida, if you're building a new home, the first year the property taxes are much lower because they only assess the land and not the house. The next year they assess both the house and land, so the property taxes jump a good amount - you might want to check just so you're not caught off guard. Also, if it's a new community the hoa fees might increase after the builder is finished with the community and it's turned over to the homeowners because the builder rarely factors in enough reserve funds.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:59 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
steve brings up a good point.
I can't tell you how many folks I know get the dreaded "your escrow is short" letter and end up either having to come up with a chunk of cash or pay an extra $100 + a month to catch up.
This is why we do our own escrow.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:34 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,390 times
Well, I paid about $1900/month PITI for a $160k, 6.35% mortgage on a $300k house in Dallas, TX. So $1240 sounds very low to me. What's the property tax and insurance in your area?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:32 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,586,374 times
How about flood, wind, and hazard insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civie View Post
My husband and I are building a new home out in Queen Creek. We are young and first time home buyers, very new to this sort of stuff and have rented apartments the 4 years we've been married. Anyway, on with it. We will have a mortgage of $160,000. The lender that we are going through has quoted us a monthly mortgage payment of $1240-ish (this includes taxes, HOA fees, mortgage ins, etc.). We were just wondering if that was a fair/good payment. I'm a long-time lurker here and know there are quite a bit of wonderful people here with the expertise to tell us.

Thank you!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
A couple of things. First, is this a fixed rate 30 yr mortgage? Also, what's the interest rate? Where I live in Florida, if you're building a new home, the first year the property taxes are much lower because they only assess the land and not the house. The next year they assess both the house and land, so the property taxes jump a good amount - you might want to check just so you're not caught off guard. Also, if it's a new community the hoa fees might increase after the builder is finished with the community and it's turned over to the homeowners because the builder rarely factors in enough reserve funds.
I don't know if it's always done this way, but I had a choice whether I wanted to pay the taxes on the fully assessed value the first year or not. I opted out of it and will owe the money in about a year. This choice is reflected in my GFE. The amount I'll pay in a year is still gonna be too much, though. The assessed values here take years to catch up with market values and never really do. Seems like it happens faster with newer houses, though. However, I was told I need to have some (4-months worth, I believe) RE taxes and hazard insurance reserves because opting out of it will adversely affect my mortgage rate.

Sounds like they're talking about AZ, so they wouldn't need anything other than hazard insurance (banker asked about it). FEMA is trying to make (and of course will...) some places pay for flood insurance (redrawing maps), but I haven't heard about Queen Creek being one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages