Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,022,051 times

Advertisements

Secured card, are for people who can not get any credit cards.

Normal process is to start with few "easy" credit issuers. Store credit cards, (Kohl's Belk's Macy Etc).

Establish a on time paying record. For about 6 months or so, Making Small Purchases each month and paying them off on time.

After 6 months or so then apply for a VISA/MC. Try to find a credit union when you should have established your Checking account, your odds of getting VISA/MC from them are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,184,384 times
Contact a lender and they can give you some advice. They want your business so they'll give you the path way you'll need to follow to qualify for a mortgage.

Best of luck!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM

155 posts, read 249,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would plan on a job(s) when you get here,
36,000USD/Year is not that much money to live on,
Not sure how big your family is,
But 36K a year will go quick.
that's the reason becouse I want to buy some hauses to rent

Sure, I will work in the short term (here I'm a bank middle manager), but not immediatly.
First of all, I want to learn a good english, and the local habits; then have a look around...and find a job, within 6/12 months

My family is me and my wife, since our daughter will have a job in nyc, so she will leave us as soon as we arrive in the USA

Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM

24 posts, read 36,832 times
If your looking to buy, do it this year. Dodd/Frank law goes into effect 2014, getting a mortgage will be more difficult

Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
My advice to people transferring/moving to a new area is rent for a year or so to understand the area be you will be comng to, be it from within or from outside the US.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,806,053 times
Last week, I was able to get foreign nationals loans on owner occupied properties, not rental. It could have been used with multi unit buildings, 2 to 4 units. That program stopped. This program was in California where we have many non citizens wanting to buy. If you can't find a loan in Charleston, you might need to look at different area where you can get a loan.

I just saw that you don't have a job, that will be a big problem with most banks. You might be able to get a loan but it will be at a higher rate than a mortgage from a big bank. If you can make the numbers work with with 50% down and interest rate of 16%, I think you can get a loan.

Last edited by thelopez2; 11-13-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM

34,111 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
sell all my assets here in europe, transfer money to USA,
and became a little landlord (it's in fact what I do here).
I don't know exactly how it works in Charleston: it's possible to have it financed ?
It'll be hard and especially at first.

Start by buying lower quality properties and paid in full (no finance at all).
Get tenants in place, fix them up, establish the paper trail of income (and taxes)...
after a year re-assess the property and THEN finance against the increased equity.
Pay yourself back for the initial cash outlays. Repeat.

As YOU and your enterprise establish more credibility the lenders will do more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
View detailed profiles of: