Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM

160 posts, read 506,800 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm hunting for a home loan & looking for some perspectives/opinions on the best options made available to me.

Option 1: 4.375% interest, no points & all closing costs or on me.

Option 2: 4.625% interest, 3800 lender credit towards closing.

Option 3: 4.625 interest, 2100 lender credit towards closing & 1% cashback from P&I.

Which one would you pick & why?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
How long do you plan to stay in the house?

How much ate you borrowing?

How strapped are you for cash that your even considering letting the lender pay the closing costs????

Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How long do you plan to stay in the house?
At a minimum, 10 years.

Quote:
How much ate you borrowing?

Quote:
How strapped are you for cash that your even considering letting the lender pay the closing costs????
The tone of your question suggests that getting a lender credit is bad. If yes, I would love to hear why.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM

656 posts, read 1,209,485 times
go to this website Mortgage Calculator - Bankrate.com

put all the numbers and click "show/calculate amortization" table, see how much you are paying as interest for each interest rate in 30 years, you will get an idea how much money you are paying extra for rate difference between 4.375 and 4.625

Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
go to this website Mortgage Calculator - Bankrate.com

put all the numbers and click "show/calculate amortization" table, see how much you are paying as interest for each interest rate in 30 years, you will get an idea how much money you are paying extra for rate difference between 4.375 and 4.625
I did those calculations too but the reason I'm still considering the options I've presented is because of the upfront costs that I shall incur with option 1. Recouping those upfront costs (I'm going by 5k as the closing costs as that's the max I've received so far) vs the saving in monthly payments with option 1 ($60) will mean it will take roughly 7years to recoup those costs.

All,

If you've shopped recently with the following parameters: credit score: 740+ & loan amount of 417k, what's the max lender credit or interest rate did you receive?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM

21 posts, read 38,439 times
The interest rate & lender credit work on a sliding scale. The lower the rate, the more it costs you while the higher the rate, the higher the credit. The lender credit could go as high as you'd like but comes at cost of higher rate. To put a figure on it, a 5.5% interest rate today for your example, would give you 4% (4% *$417K) back.
You would never need that much, nor use that option - it's just shown to answer your question.

Regarding whether it makes sense to get the lowest rate vs. a few ticks up for costs to be paid is not a "one size fits all" answer. Your specific circumstances should be viewed such as: Putting 20% down? Available funds? Reserves? Other debt(s)? Household income? Timeframe for home ownership? Etc...

Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
nc99 answered the question you asked me. And others have given you good information as well.

Asking what others got for mortgage quotes is meaningless. The rates and deals are regionally based and changed daily. What I received in January, 2013 with a 800+ credit score has no relevance to your situation.

But I will add this: Part of the decision should be based on what else you can do with the money. We could have paid cash for the house, but were able to get such a low interest mortgage that we took out a mortgage, leaving our cash in our investments. That will also allow us to itemize, which we would not otherwise be able to do.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 989 times
Hi. I'm looking to get a home loan. I'm a first time buyer with poor credit. IU.S. not bc of debt by never have financed anything. Not a car or anything. Always just saved the money for what I wanted. My house and land are both paid for. So what's the best option for me?? Only looking for 30-40,000. Any help would be appreacited!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages