Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 AM

426 posts, read 1,491,150 times

Advertisements

Mortgage rates climbed in the last few days, so the offered rate went up to 5.750% Thats still a great rate to us since the rate on our current mortgage is 5.875% We went ahead and locked 5.750% in until January 8th. We get to change the rate once, so if it does go lower closer to the time of purchase we can lower it. Atleast it wont go higher. The 5.625% quote was on 11/1/07, so that would have given us an exp date between Christmas and New Year, otherwise we would have jumped on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 AM

Mortgage rates climbed in the last few days, so the offered rate went up to 5.750% Thats still a great rate to us since the rate on our current mortgage is 5.875% We went ahead and locked 5.750% in until January 8th. We get to change the rate once, so if it does go lower closer to the time of purchase we can lower it. Atleast it wont go higher. The 5.625% quote was on 11/1/07, so that would have given us an exp date between Christmas and New Year, otherwise we would have jumped on it.

LOL about the Damn Husband Comment. It means dear or darling husband. Most of the time he is darling or dear, definately damn sometimes as well

Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,599,712 times
Make sure you signed a 'lock agreement'.

Good Faith Estimates arent worth the paper they're printed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post

LOL about the Damn Husband Comment. It means dear or darling husband. Most of the time he is darling or dear, definately damn sometimes as well

Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,695,979 times
Default if you have not seen it.....

CDF has a mortgage forum now

Mortgages - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

Old 11-08-2007, 01:49 PM

282 posts, read 836,001 times
Quote:
What do you mean with a buydown rate? As far as I know a buydown rate is where you have a low rate for the first year or two and then it increases. The rate of 5.625% is a 30 year fixed rate. It does include a point/fees etc. but thats part of our relocation package, its not coming out of our pocket.

We are also getting an additional discount bec we are existing customers with excellent credit/high score who are relocating. The rate is through Wells Fargo and we have it in writing.

We'll be calling tomorrow to lock in.

Thank you for the replies!
Unless I'm badly mistaken (I'm an "amateur" here, so someone should confirm), a buydown rate is where you "buy your interest rate down". It's a permanent thing.

So - you might find a 6.0% rate, with an option from your mortgage company to buy a .25% or .50% rate reduction (i.e. mortgage then becomes 5.75% or 5.5%). It's usually a few thousand bucks per .25%, so it's worth doing the math to see how far out the break even period is.

It tends to be a good deal if you plan on holding on to the house for a while (6+ years in my case), because you will pay less in the long run.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
Unless I'm badly mistaken (I'm an "amateur" here, so someone should confirm), a buydown rate is where you "buy your interest rate down". It's a permanent thing.

So - you might find a 6.0% rate, with an option from your mortgage company to buy a .25% or .50% rate reduction (i.e. mortgage then becomes 5.75% or 5.5%). It's usually a few thousand bucks per .25%, so it's worth doing the math to see how far out the break even period is.

It tends to be a good deal if you plan on holding on to the house for a while (6+ years in my case), because you will pay less in the long run.
Generally, the mortgage companies charge a point (1% of the loan amount) for every .25% reduction in interest rate.

The breakeven point is 63 months. If you have the cash and you think you are going to be in the house for more than seven years, I would always recommend buying down.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 12,149 times
Default yep!

Quote:
Anyone care to predict what mortgage rates are going to do the next month or so?!

We are moving to NC next week. Our current mortgage company offered us a fixed rate of 5.625% on a 30 year conventional mortgage. Its a relocation rate and it includes 1 point which Dh's employer buys us as part of the relocation package.

Would you lock in that rate or wait a bit longer?

Thanks!
I'm at 5&3/8 ARM for 2more years and I would certainly take that!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:57 PM

820 posts, read 2,789,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
As with anything they offer different buydown options like 2-1 etc... A lot of them are NOT fixed for the life of the loan but give a very reduced rate for year one. The rate goes up annually until it reaches the original fixed amount which then becomes the rate for the remainder of the term of the loan.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 AM

We found a house and since mortgage rates declined we were able to lock in at 5.25 % this morning.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 AM

We found a house and since mortgage rates declined we were able to lock in at 5.25 % / 30 yrs this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages