Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 PM

41 posts, read 369,239 times

Advertisements

About 11 months ago I refinanced at 2.875% with loan amount $267k. A month ago I was offered 2.5% with about $3k broker credit (on $256k) towards closing costs, so I decided to refinance again. I figured since I'm not paying anything out of pocket I have nothing to lose, since this credit covers all the costs plus about $500 towards escrows.... and about $5k savings on interest over the life of the loan (15yr).

Today I got my HUD-1 and closed a couple of hours ago.

In April I told my broker the current principal balance was about $256k.

I didn't check my current loan since, assuming my broker will get the payoff balance from the bank. Just now I checked and my broker requested payoff balance from the bank on May 17th and that was $254,989. Now, for some reason on my hud-1 payoff is $255,891 with the new loan principal amount of $256k. Was that just an honest mistake?

I assume the bank will owe me $902 ($255,891 - $254,989) once they get the payoff. correct? If so, I guess can I ask the bank to put this money towards principal right away to avoid paying interest on it or I guess I can just ask them to send me a check.

Please note - this was a no cost refinance with broker credit. The closing costs were not (supposed to be) rolled into the new loan

Thanks

Last edited by Nikon5400; 05-28-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
Mortgage Interest is charged daily, and in arrears. Had you closed earlier in the month, the lower payoff number would have been more accurate. However, it is 2 weeks later = more interest to pay.

You can request both payoff forms - - it sounds like they had to get an updated payoff, so there should be two in the file.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 PM

I completely forgot about that....

but still, the interest on May 1st payment was $613.82, while the difference between payoff amounts is $902. Does it mean my old bank still owes me about $300 (assuming I pay on the 1st of every month and the old loan will get paid off on the 1st as well) ?

Thanks

Last edited by Nikon5400; 05-28-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Since this is a refinance, odds are the payoff amount includes some additional days just in case the funds are not in the mortage holders hands on the date specified. The normal amout is about 6 days worth of interest which is refunded to you if it's above the actual amount owed. Do not assume that the day your refinancing occurs is the same day your old lender gets the payoff dollars in their hands.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 AM

Yeah, but still, $902 seems a little too much, considering the interest for the whole month of April was $613 (paid with May 1st
payment)

According to HUD-1 line 902 my daily interest is $17.78, which adds even more confusion since it doesn't add up to anything (17.78 * 31 = $551.18)

Also, with old loan getting paid off on June 3rd and the 1st payment on the new loan being August 1st, when is the interest for June getting collected (I'm talking about the whole month of June, not June 3 - June 1)?

Thanks

Last edited by Nikon5400; 05-29-2013 at 06:07 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon5400 View Post
Yeah, but still, $902 seems a little too much, considering the interest for the whole month of April was $613 (paid with May 1st
payment)

According to HUD-1 line 902 my daily interest is $17.78, which adds even more confusion since it doesn't add up to anything (17.78 * 31 = $551.18)

Also, with old loan getting paid off on June 3rd and the 1st payment on the new loan being August 1st, when is the interest for June getting collected (I'm talking about the whole month of June, not June 3 - June 1)?

Thanks
Was any of the $902 go to escrow?

When you refinance, 1st payment is usually 1+ month later. Some people like this cause they don't need to put out money but the truth is that you are paying for it. Interests for June and July is rolled into your loan amount.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 AM

I don't have escrows on my old loan.

Interests for June and July is rolled into your loan amount
So, this ends up being an interest on the interest?
I guess if the interest rate wasn't this low, it'd make a lot of sense to make June\July payment?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon5400 View Post
I don't have escrows on my old loan.

Interests for June and July is rolled into your loan amount
So, this ends up being an interest on the interest?
I guess if the interest rate wasn't this low, it'd make a lot of sense to make June\July payment?
Let me clarify.

If you closed on the 3rd of June, at closing, you prepaid the interests for the month of June with either closing cost or it is taken from your loan amount.

When you make your August 1 payment, you are paying July interests along with principal payment.

This is one area where people usually forget when it comes to no "out of pocket" refinance. You are paying interests on any expense associated to the loan if you are not paying out of pocket.

Are you sure that this isn't where the differences you are claiming isn't going to? Prepaid interests for the new loan.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
I agree with the above that it sounds like you're paying May's interest within your payoff amount in addition to the rest of June's interest at closing. Your first mortgage payment will pay July's interest.

Also, if you are refinancing with a different lender than the lender you currently have, you have a 3 day right of rescission so they need to collect for those days as well. If you are refinancing with the same lender, it should fund same day.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Let me clarify.

This is one area where people usually forget when it comes to no "out of pocket" refinance. You are paying interests on any expense associated to the loan if you are not paying out of pocket.

Are you sure that this isn't where the differences you are claiming isn't going to? Prepaid interests for the new loan.

I think I understand it now better. I completely forgot about the interest paid in arrears. The payoff I see online is principal only, while there's an interest + some fees from an old loan, which all add up..

I'm getting broker credit to pay for closing costs, plus some on top.. so my "no out of pocket" is not rolled into new loan. My theory is - the more broker\lender credit, the better, as long as rates keep dropping or if there's no intention to stay in the house for the entire loan term. This way I can refinance over and over, which is what I've been doing when the rate drop was 3/8 %. I don't pay for refinance out of pocket, so I have nothing to lose, while saving on the interest over the life of the loan is not that big ($4-5k), it's still a saving. Please let me know if I'm missing something..

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages