Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,021 times

Advertisements

I resigned from my job in 2009 to take on extra credits (as many as 21 per semester!) and graduate from college quicker. I graduated in late 2010, but was then unable to find a job. At the same time my grandmother's health deteriorated so I took that opportunity to step in and become her full-time caregiver. Without getting into too much detail, I was relieved of these responsibilities about a year and a half later, and was able to begin my career. I have now been with my company for 1 year.

My wife and I recently found a house, had it inspected, signed the contracts, and have signed all loan disclosure forms. We are currently in underwriting. My mortgage broker told me to explain my situation in a letter to the underwriter. He is confident he can make it work but there are obviously no guarentees, as two years of steady employment is generally what is acceptable.

Some background: we are in NY, doing an FHA loan, have approx. 700 credit scores, and would need both of our incomes to be counted in order to be approved for a home of this price.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM

3,803 posts, read 9,356,695 times
Just write the letter.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,821,572 times
No, non paid work is not part of a work history. You need to prove income. Caregiving for free is not income.

However, do as your loan officer suggests, write the letter and see what happens. You just never known, maybe you'll get lucky..

Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
No, non paid work is not part of a work history. You need to prove income. Caregiving for free is not income.

However, do as your loan officer suggests, write the letter and see what happens. You just never known, maybe you'll get lucky..
I already wrote and submitted the letter.

If you need to prove income as you say, why is being a stay-at-home mom acceptable under these guidelines? They earn no income, but if a person was a stay-at-home parent they can be working only 6 months and still be eligible for an FHA loan. The same holds true for a student who gets a job right out of school with no period of unemployment in between. One would assume these circumstances would be treated similarly. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as though they are trying to establish more of a record of responsibility rather than necessarily a solid two years of income, when the surrounding circumstances make sense.

Last edited by HouseHunter12345; 04-18-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,821,572 times
HUD/FHA will allow a stay at home parent if that parent had a two year work history prior to taking time off. They will also usually consider a full time college student to use some of that time toward employment history if they get a steady job right after college.

Your situation is tricky. Wait and see what happens.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
HUD/FHA will allow a stay at home parent if that parent had a two year work history prior to taking time off. They will also usually consider a full time college student to use some of that time toward employment history if they get a steady job right after college.

Your situation is tricky. Wait and see what happens.
Thanks for your response. I guess I should add that I do have a two year work history prior to quitting my job in 2009. As such, per my loan officer's request, I provided him with tax returns and W-2s from 2008 and 2009.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 AM

238 posts, read 1,962,664 times
Update: Still waiting!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Update: We were approved!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Update: Cleared to close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages