Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times

Advertisements

In 2005, my parents got an ARM mortgage on their home, which is now underwater.
They don't speak English very well and are not financially savvy. Now that I am old enough to know what's going on, I'm trying to help them with refinancing.

They're 7 years into their ARM. Their rate is adjusted every year (in April) based on the Treasury Security index (TCM) + 2.75% margin. They have about $200k in principal.

They recently got an offer from their current lender to switch to a 30-year 3.625% fixed loan (no closing fees).

Should they go for the fixed 30-year loan?
They're in their 60's now but I think they would like to live there as long as possible.

I don't know much about mortgage loans and this is a little overwhelming for me.
Any advice would be much appreciated

[URL="http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=338897"]http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/i...ttons/edit.gif[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,823,079 times
I'm confused. You said they're underwater, but have $200k in principle? Are you saying they still OWE $200k? And have a principle payoff of $200k?

Why anyone would continue with an ARM, when rates are so low for a fixed, is beyond me. ARMs are typically for people who aren't going to be in their home long term. They've already been there for 7 years. If they are going to be there longer, switching makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM

240 posts, read 537,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I'm confused. You said they're underwater, but have $200k in principle? Are you saying they still OWE $200k? And have a principle payoff of $200k?

Why anyone would continue with an ARM, when rates are so low for a fixed, is beyond me. ARMs are typically for people who aren't going to be in their home long term. They've already been there for 7 years. If they are going to be there longer, switching makes a lot of sense.
They are probably underwater because the value of the house is less than they owe. When the OP says principle, I would image that is how much they owe at this moment. They probably bought the house for $225, the principle is down to $200, but the value of the house is sitting at $175.

I would switch to the fixed mortgage. ARMs work well for short term situations, but since the parents aren't financially savvy, you should get the most straight forward loan.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,599 times
I'd be shocked if switching to a 3.625% fixed rate with no closing costs (when your house is possibly underwater) isn't a great deal for them.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I'd be shocked if switching to a 3.625% fixed rate with no closing costs (when your house is possibly underwater) isn't a great deal for them.
Agreed. Unless we are missing something (and I can't imagine what that would be) how could this not be a very good idea?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM

9 posts, read 40,377 times
There is not a loan program currently available that will refinance underwater mortgages that are ARMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages