Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 9,367 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm currently applying for a loan and have already gone through pre-approval, appraisal and home inspection. My loan officer is telling me that my file is good to go, DTI ratio is good, credit score above 740, been with the same company with progressively higher salary for the past 10 years. However, she is now telling me that the income reported by my employer on the verification of employment form is different from what is reported on my W2 box 1, and this is a big problem. I went with this lender because I already had Wells Fargo drop my application because of the same issue.

I looked into the issue further and found that my employer is reporting gross income, which includes W2 box 1 and all of my pre-tax deductions (401k, medical, dental, vision premium, etc). My employer also deducts vacation time, and certain holiday pay from the base salary and reports it as a separate line item, so the base salary also doesn't exactly match what is listed on my W2. I wrote a letter of explanation to my lender on how the gross income and base salary (salary + vacation + holiday) is calculated and how they can come to the exact same amount with the numbers on my W2.

I'm just a little perplexed, because this seems so simple and common, but yet, I have 2 lenders now asking questions about this. Do all lenders use box 1 of the W2 as total income earned? Box 12 only reports my 401k contributions and do not include my health care premiums.

In any case, my loan officer says that even with just box 1 income, I'm still okay DTI-wise. I'm one week away from closing escrow, and will be charged 350.00/day of delay on this new construction home, and I'm really worried that this will cause my loan to be denied.

Really stressed right now, and would like to hear if anyone has experience with this situation and what is the likelihood of this really being a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
What gross income was reported to the IRS? Your lender can pull the copy of the employer reported (gross, not taxable) W2 and that is what will be used. We can't have a discussion what is allowable in the reported earnings.......only what was reported. If the reported income is calculated incorrect (this isn't rocket science), the employer needs to acknowledge that it is incorrect and then you need to find yourself a Fannie Mae Direct lender. If your lender is using taxable income in their calculations, they are idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages