Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,311,807 times

Advertisements

hi everyone....
a little background.....

I have a rental condo with a balance of 201k and 23 years left on a 30 year note. monthly payment (5.875% fixed) is $1525 including escrow and hazard ins. (it is a fannie mae loan)

i have the chance to refinance with the same lender (BofA). Rate will be 4.75%. payment will be $1250 including escrow and hazard.

Closing costs are $3600 (including half a point) so i'll break even in about 14 months....

considering that i'm not going to sell the place anytime soon (I put the value at somewhere around $165k!), this seems like a no brainer....but for some reason, i'm hesitant. not sure why.

please advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM

19,461 posts, read 27,946,865 times
Have you shopped around to see if you can do better - especially in those closing costs? If you have, and you can't, I'd say go for it.

But will it appraise high enough to actually get that loan? It doesn't sound like it. . .

Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,968,121 times
How much out of pocket to get the thing rolling?

Go, do not stop. Condos are a pain right now anyway.

True, no brainer. They won't close you fast, but they will hold your lock until you close. They'll transfer escrows and you'll save on recording.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Have you shopped around to see if you can do better - especially in those closing costs? If you have, and you can't, I'd say go for it.

But will it appraise high enough to actually get that loan? It doesn't sound like it. . .

no, haven't shopped around, since this is a HARP same lender program. it allows for underwater mortgages to be refinanced without any documentation (not that i would mind the documentation).

it will certainly NOT appraise for the 200k i owe. and i've told them this and they know it. it'll appraise for no more than 160k. but with this program, there is no appraisal. I locked in the rate yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
How much out of pocket to get the thing rolling?

Go, do not stop. Condos are a pain right now anyway.

True, no brainer. They won't close you fast, but they will hold your lock until you close. They'll transfer escrows and you'll save on recording.

$35 bucks out of pocket....for the credit report.
he said they close on these within 60 days. i wanted it done within 30, but as you said, they seem to be in no hurry.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,791,824 times
I have an underwater condo just like you. I refinanced with my original lender at 4.75% - my new loan was for $190K.

I think you should definitely do this. Ask if you can have the bank pay the fees. I refinanced under HARP 2.0 so my only out of pocket costs was $2,500 at most (cant remember but it was less than $3K). I have heard really bad things about Bank of America - I really would be hesitant to go with them again, so shop around to see what other lenders offer you before signing on with them again.

Good luck and congrats! Theres no reason why you should have a loan for more than 5% in this market. I wish I could do better than 4.75% but its an investment property (I had to rent it after getting married because the appraisal value is only around $150K).

PS By the way, why did you bother to lock in the rate? I doubt you would be paying a higher rate w/in the next 60 days. Interest rates are not going up that fast yet. If anything, its been pretty stable since mid January. I would have not paid a dime for a rate lock.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I have an underwater condo just like you. I refinanced with my original lender at 4.75% - my new loan was for $190K.

I think you should definitely do this. Ask if you can have the bank pay the fees. I refinanced under HARP 2.0 so my only out of pocket costs was $2,500 at most (cant remember but it was less than $3K). I have heard really bad things about Bank of America - I really would be hesitant to go with them again, so shop around to see what other lenders offer you before signing on with them again.

Good luck and congrats! Theres no reason why you should have a loan for more than 5% in this market. I wish I could do better than 4.75% but its an investment property (I had to rent it after getting married because the appraisal value is only around $150K).

PS By the way, why did you bother to lock in the rate? I doubt you would be paying a higher rate w/in the next 60 days. Interest rates are not going up that fast yet. If anything, its been pretty stable since mid January. I would have not paid a dime for a rate lock.
i have the ability to lower the point (3/8) and the rate 4.75% once before i close.
honestly, i didn't know i could proceed without locking the rate.....
Crap.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM

19,461 posts, read 27,946,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
no, haven't shopped around, since this is a HARP same lender program. it allows for underwater mortgages to be refinanced without any documentation (not that i would mind the documentation).

it will certainly NOT appraise for the 200k i owe. and i've told them this and they know it. it'll appraise for no more than 160k. but with this program, there is no appraisal. I locked in the rate yesterday.

$35 bucks out of pocket....for the credit report.
he said they close on these within 60 days. i wanted it done within 30, but as you said, they seem to be in no hurry.
With this additional information, I agree. Run, very very fast, and get this done.

Congratulations!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,608,006 times
I agree with the others, get it done. But my extra advice would be to continue making the same payment that you currently do. When we refi'd earlier this year, the bank calculated us paying off the loan in 19 years instead of 30 if we kept the current mortgage payment.

Also, did you look to see what a 15 year mortgage would be rate wise and payment wise? You might be closer to your current payment but get it over with many years early.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,968,121 times
Market tanked (rates up) yesterday - if you didn't run fast, please call back BofA and confirm rate.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Market tanked (rates up) yesterday - if you didn't run fast, please call back BofA and confirm rate.
yes, i did lock it in at 4.75%
i'll double check to make sure the guy did it though.

thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages