Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:30 PM

255 posts, read 516,155 times

Advertisements

Anybody knows any lender that is still lending with low/no downpayment? I am interested in conventional loans. Looking for loans with interest rate under 8%. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,087,590 times
Is zero downpayment history?

God, I hope so. Look at the mess it created!

Seriously, 20% down is more standard now, and that's a good thing

Though you can still find some lenders who will go to 10% if everything else looks really good (debt ratio's and credit scores).

The good news is, current rates for fixed mortgages are about 3.75 for 15 year loans and 4. to 4.25 for 30 year loans.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,725,001 times
Why is it that people assume that a low or no down payment is wrong? The truth of the matter was not the down payment but the way it was sold by mortgage brokers and real estate people who knew better.
These so-called deadbeat homeowners were scammed while the people on Wall Street were passing out bonuses and patting each other on the back.
BTW, most banks now require 28% down and a bank balance to cover all costs for six months. Isn't that wonderful? Just how many qualified buyers does that leave a housing market that is fat with houses in a dead economy with no sign of relief?

Home Addict,

I believe there are still programs where one can get a home with little or no money down. They are usually state run programs like rural development. The one I am thinking of requires buying a home in a designated area, and that the buyer be a first time homebuyer in that state, and have very good credit.
Generally there is also a very competitive interest rate. VA is another if you qualify.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why is it that people assume that a low or no down payment is wrong? The truth of the matter was not the down payment but the way it was sold by mortgage brokers and real estate people who knew better.
These so-called deadbeat homeowners were scammed while the people on Wall Street were passing out bonuses and patting each other on the back.
BTW, most banks now require 28% down and a bank balance to cover all costs for six months. Isn't that wonderful? Just how many qualified buyers does that leave a housing market that is fat with houses in a dead economy with no sign of relief?

Home Addict,

I believe there are still programs where one can get a home with little or no money down. They are usually state run programs like rural development. The one I am thinking of requires buying a home in a designated area, and that the buyer be a first time homebuyer in that state, and have very good credit.
Generally there is also a very competitive interest rate. VA is another if you qualify.

VA and FHA are the only place to find loans these days without needing at least 10% down, and our OP wants a conventional loan.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comment

Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM

22,269 posts, read 19,599,020 times
FHA 3.5% down

Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
FHA 3.5% down
Again, the OP needs a conventional loan.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM

19,484 posts, read 28,106,664 times
LovesMountains, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on CD. Somebody with common sense and knowledge is nice to have around here.

It WASN'T just the sleazy practices of the mortgage industry that caused the problem - the zero and near-to-nothing down programs created homeowners who had no investment in their home from their own pocket. No reason to stay if the house decreased in value - which so many of them did. They were often (almost always?) people who didn't have a down payment because they couldn't manage their own money enough to save up the down payment. And people who can't budget and handle money should really not be owning homes. (they often make great tenants, however).

Old 09-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
LovesMountains, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on CD. Somebody with common sense and knowledge is nice to have around here.

It WASN'T just the sleazy practices of the mortgage industry that caused the problem - the zero and near-to-nothing down programs created homeowners who had no investment in their home from their own pocket. No reason to stay if the house decreased in value - which so many of them did. They were often (almost always?) people who didn't have a down payment because they couldn't manage their own money enough to save up the down payment. And people who can't budget and handle money should really not be owning homes. (they often make great tenants, however).
Well, thank you very kindly - I just call 'em like I see 'em

The value and importance of a downpayment, a stake in the biggest purchase most of us will ever make, should never ever again be underestimated.

We are all paying the price now for the banking industry's greed and ignorance when that was common practice

Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,887,551 times
While all this may be true, it's not the focus of the OP's question. So let's please stick to the question asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict
Anybody knows any lender that is still lending with low/no downpayment? I am interested in conventional loans. Looking for loans with interest rate under 8%.
Thanks!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 PM

255 posts, read 516,155 times
We purchased a home back in 2005 for 700k, with 300k downpayment. Market value is now 500k. Even though we are able to refinance down (thank goodness we still have 20%), we are in a so-so school district while we lost 200k of our savings.

We could purchase a home in a good school district for 800k, but we'll need to sell our current home and put down another 80k. I am not sure we want to risk extra capital after the precipitous drop in home value.

In fact, if we could pull that 100k equity out of our current house, we would. It is just not safe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages