Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,340,182 times

Advertisements

To overly simplify the answer to the question: quantitative easing and monetizing the debt create inflation, which causes interest rates to rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,042,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
To overly simplify the answer to the question: quantitative easing and monetizing the debt create inflation, which causes interest rates to rise.
Yes, absolutely... but the BLS is not only responsible for reporting UE statistics, they also handle CPI. Both are fudged big time. Look at what they say CPI is - there is no inflation.

So the interest rate rise in your simplistic statement is correct - it just doesn't jive with what they're telling us.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:40 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,099,423 times
Correction: Earlier, I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer
That is the percentage of the working age population currently employed. That number
is 67% or so and it hasn't improved as much as the 'unemployment rate' has improved.
The labor participation rate is actually 64.2%
Bloomberg - chart of the day

Old 02-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Correction: Earlier, I wrote:
The labor participation rate is actually 64.2%
Bloomberg - chart of the day
Exactly! This is how you show "improvement"... classic example.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,487,425 times
So we are discussing the US Prime rate only, correct? The one year LIBOR rate is still low.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,024,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Exactly! This is how you show "improvement"... classic example.

Mikey, i am agreement with you regarding the economy. We have a long road ahead of us. However, the broader market place disagrees with us. They see green shoots that are going to lead to more jobs, more spending, growing economy.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
Mikey, i am agreement with you regarding the economy. We have a long road ahead of us. However, the broader market place disagrees with us. They see green shoots that are going to lead to more jobs, more spending, growing economy.
Yeah, I hope so... Best case scenario we got major bumps ahead as we get weened off living completely by debt and credit. You can't create more jobs, more spending, and a growing economy on debt.

The upcoming US debt ceiling issue will be a key thing to watch. Will our teabagging Congress allow it and, if so, under what conditions?

We're at a traditionally low time of the year for gas prices and see what's happening - gas well over $4 this Summer will not be a pleasant thing.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,213,720 times
Quote:
For the January numbers, less than 40k new jobs were created yet the unemployment rate went down from 9.8% to 9.0%. It didn't drop because unemployment dropped, it dropped because many have just dropped out. A better measure is the 'employment rate.'
That is better, but even that is flawed.

Should everyone between age 18 and 65 be working?

Why?

If my spouse loves her job and she makes enough money to support us, why can't I stay home and write tele-plays and screen-plays and take care of the kids? Why must I work?

Or maybe I should work and my spouse should stay home and play with her potter's wheel and kiln or enroll in university courses.

If everyone has to work or must work, that is a problem.

Quote:
I think there is a two-tier economy now. Those without jobs are eating macaroni and those with jobs are buying cars and eating at restaurants.
Not macaroni, Ramen Noodles.

Quote:
Almost 30% of mortgages are under water.
That puts a damper on the HELOCs. So do lower housing prices. No credit, no spending.

Quote:
Also, the December number ( about 300k jobs ) shown in an earlier post is only enough jobs to keep the unemployment rate ( the real one ) steady. The economy needs 400k jobs - per month - to actually grow.

I read yesterday in the WSJ that the economy would need to generate 750k jobs per month for the next three years ( an impossible task ) to bring the unemployment rate down to 5% ( considered to be about "full employment" ).
Too bad for you.

I already said that here months ago, so the WSJ is a $1 short and several months late. I'll re-post what I said several months ago.

The BLS job projection for the 10-year period 2008 to 2018 was 50.6 Million jobs.

That averages out to 5,060,000 per year.

That averages out to 421,666 jobs per month.

The BLS also projected that 67% of those 421,666 jobs would be, um, er, "created" due to Baby Boomers leaving the work-force ie "retiring."

That means the 421,666 job openings each month would stack up this way:

1) 139,150 brand-spanking new never before worked jobs would be created; and

2) 282,516 Baby Boomers would retire each month providing 282,516 job openings for jobs that already exist.

Who is vying for those jobs?

Each month, there are 150,000 to 200,000 new entrants to the work-force. Those people are high school, college, tech school graduates, and people (mostly women) who voluntarily left the work-force to give birth, raise children, or provide in-home care to an elderly parent or other family member who was ill.

And there are some 13.9 Million or so who are unemployed seeking employment, and another 9 Million who have given up looking for work.

It would take 54 straight months of 421,666 jobs to get unemployment anywhere near 5% and you'd still have to deal with 8,100,000 or so new entrants to the work force, which would take another 19 months, or a total of 73 months to get back to 5%.

73 months is a little over 6 years. Roughly the year 2016 (which is what I said in 2010).

Of course, that is predicated on the BLS being correct and that 67% of Baby Boomers really do retire and don't keep working for 2-5 years past age 65.

Quote:
On topic, interest rates are set by the bond market ( a much bigger market than the stock market ). The US trade deficit just ticked up again. The rates in the bond market are set by those who lend us money so we can buy crap from other countries. The U.S. is a nation living beyond its means and that means that rates that other countries charge us will tend to go up and up and up.
Yes, many of these people don't understand it, but a continual trade deficit creates pressure to send jobs overseas.

That is one reason, but not the only reason, that jobs are being exported.

Quote:
Although we ( the US Fed ) is creating money from nothing, so is everyone else. Our money is crap, but it's less crappy than the Euro or the Pound, so the process of others ( mostly Asia ) raising our rates will take time.
Indeed. Many of the people here just don't get it. I think the name is confusing to them. They think "Federal Reserve" is somehow different than "Central Bank."

All Central Banks on Planet Earth do the exact same thing the US Central Bank does (except the US Central Bank has a cool sounding name like Federal Reserve).

Quote:
I think we will eventually go back to 7% mortgage rates as the normal rate. It might take a few years, but it's going to happen. Historically, that's not a high number, BTW.
Low interest rates create Interest Inflation and the prices of those things that are heavily tied to interest, like housing and automobiles, get artificially inflated way above market value.

That isn't the only factor in housing prices, but it is the factor that artificially ramps up the values.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,302,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Looking at this week's interest rates... 3 questions pop up:

1. Why are the average interest rates going up? I don't know how this works or what financial factors contribute to the rates' going up/down... but doesn't this prevent people from buying homes or refinancing?
Because QE2 was a failure. The FED has done all it can to force down interest rates, and they are still rising. And yes it does affect what people can afford.

Quote:
2. Doesn't this promote the stagnation of real estate?
Real estate is facing more problems than higher interest rates. The banks are holding an estimated 70% of foreclosures off the market in an attempt to keep prices at their inflated level. Despite this manipulation, prices are continuing to fall.
There is also a huge shadow inventory of homes which have not been foreclosed on, but are no longer having payments made on them. These are hidden future inventory.
There is also a spike in ARM resets coming mid to late 2011 that will drive many current mortgages into default.
When you add it all together, it does not look good.

Quote:
3. How high is going to get in the immediate future (2012-ish)? Do you guys see it plateauing soon or coming down again?
Good question, depends on how confidence in the dollar holds up. We have recently seen the IMF calling for replacement of the dollar as the worlds reserve currency by SDR's a basket of currencies.
The dollar is also being shunned by China, and Russia to some degree, and completely by Iran.
France today is also calling for the end of the dollars use as reserve currency.
Without world reserve currency status, the dollar would loose confidence and interest rates would spike.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 AM

364 posts, read 1,081,746 times
Will housing prices go up? Or just interest rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages