Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 11:58 PM

149 posts, read 552,958 times

Advertisements

In a previous thread (re FHA -- Turned Down), I've spoken about the appraisal we received that had the term "unique" for the combo large garage/workshop that is adjacent to (but not attached to) the manufactured home.

We were pursuing and FHA mortgage with the 3.5% down.

My question now is, would it make any positive difference for us if we pursued a conventional mortgage with standard 20% down, to buy this manufactured home and garage/workshop? Would the requirements be as strict? Would we be able to choose an appraiser, or would the appraiser still likely be selected by the lender, or what?

Thanks so much for all the generous and helpful feedback I've received here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 06:33 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Default Mfd. home

Without knowing what state you are buying in, I'll give you a "generic" answer. Yes, there are banks and mortgage companies that will provide a loan for mfd. home. You have to qualify just like a stick built home. Appraisal will be the key and the appraiser is always chosen by the mortgage company or bank. It will also matter whether or not the home is on leased land or owned land. You can also call mfd. home dealers in your area and ask who does their financing. A lot is going to depend on the age, location, condition and so forth of the home. You are also entitled to a home inspection. (Many mfd. homes are built better than stick built!)

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM

205 posts, read 602,966 times
I think whether home is mounted on top of foundation or not (making it no longer a "mobile" home), also affects what mortgages/loans you can get for the home. Less options if the home is not on a permanent foundation and thus is mobile.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I know people that have been through this, manufactured homes on acreage with stick built out-buildings. Unlike most houses, manufactured have a definite age limit after which no lender will touch them. In one case, their 5 acres, garage and barn are all the value in the assessor's records, the mfd home is valued at 0 despite being in nice condition, and they enjoy living in it.
What it really means is taking a big hit when they try to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages