Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 15,418 times

Advertisements

Anybody know where I can look to find the current rates on USDA Rural Housing loans?

It's simple to find the rates for conventional or FHA loans, but i've been unable to find the USDA rates without talking to my mortgage broker. I'd rather navigate to a web page each day/week/etc than to have to call him to keep up on what the rates are.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 PM

768 posts, read 4,341,461 times
Unless your mortgage broker posts rates to a website on a daily basis, you'll only be able to get his/her interest rates directly from your broker. Currently USDA rates are anywhere from 4.5 to 5% depending on if you pay any points or not, loan amount size, state you are buying in, and credit score.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanetheMortgageMan View Post
Unless your mortgage broker posts rates to a website on a daily basis, you'll only be able to get his/her interest rates directly from your broker. Currently USDA rates are anywhere from 4.5 to 5% depending on if you pay any points or not, loan amount size, state you are buying in, and credit score.
Is there somewhere I, as a regular citizen and not a mortgage broker, can get those "4.5 to 5%" numbers online? I understand my precise rate will depend on those factors. Conventional and FHA rates will vary based on the same factors, but the nominal rates are easily found online with a simple google search.

For reference, i'm in VA, have 700+ credit, looking for ~$250k, and no points.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 PM

You should be about 4.75% from the rate sheets I am looking at. Unfortunately very hard to find USDA interest rates online, the only place I find them is from my bank rate sheet & wholesale lenders. Lenders vary quite a bit with the interest rates offered on USDA as well, for example one lender I am looking at has rates about 5.5% (I think they are on crack).

Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Mortgage broker said the rate was at 5%. I get that it varies from one to the next. Does the mortgage broker add a small kickback for himself to a rate before he passes it on to the buyer? Or does he quote directly what the bank rate sheet says? .25% could change my monthly payments by about $40/mo.

I have so much to learn. Sorry for all the questions.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM

The rate sheet has interest rates in .125% increments usually spanning a spread of 1% or more. The lower the rate, the more it costs to get that interest rate, the higher the rate, the less it costs, and eventually there is a point at which above a certain interest rate starts paying a mortgage broker what is called "Yield Spread Premium", which is a rebate (kickback, whatever you want to call it) the lender gives the mortgage broker. It is how a mortgage broker makes money without having to charge origination points. Now there aren't a ton of lenders even doing USDA mortgages these days, so if you like your mortgage broker and they've done a great job so far, in the scope of things .125-.250% in rate isn't a huge disparity and shouldn't be the determining factor on whether you stick with them or not. If you like a lower rate, ask how much it costs in points and have your broker go over when your "break even" point would be (additional cost for the lower rate divided by monthly savings in payment = break even point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages