Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,266 times

Advertisements

My husband has taken a position in Mchenry MD. However, we are thinking about living in morgantown. We are relocating form a suburb of Kansas City. How different will it be? We are African American, and are look for diversity and a awesome place to worship. Have never been to Morgantown, and we need to be moved by the end of June. My husband will be in the area for the entire month of June. Any suggestions on where we should live? We also have school aged children and would like for them to be in a good school district. I am a teacher, and will be looking for a job as well. Help because we are running out of time.

Last edited by sorobin; 05-25-2007 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,830 times
Morgantown is if not the most diverse, one of the most diverse cities in the state. You will see people of all sorts of ethnicities. Of course the town is much smaller than KC, but if the urban bug gets you, Pittsburgh is an easy 75 miles up I-79. The traffic around rush hour is probably just as bad because the road infrastructure is laughable. The saying around town is "Morgantown: Where everything is a 5 minute walk or a 45 minute drive."

There are houses of worship representing everything from Islam to Catholicism to Unitarians, I'm sure you can find something to fit your tastes.

IMO, the best location for families is the Suncrest area or the Cheat Lake area. Some would suggest South Park or Westover, too. The most important thing is to stay away from Sunnyside and the downtown area in general. It's nothing but students and parties at 3AM. Any realtor in town would tell you the same thing. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of place are you looking for? Townhouse, house, apartment? What range are you looking at? I might be able to give you some more specific ideas.

As for a job, I can't really help you as I have no knowledge with the local teacher job market. Here are the local help wanted ads. (broken link) Maybe those will help.

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 05-25-2007 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown