Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,233,629 times

Advertisements

"The West Virginia University College of Law was recognized by National Jurist Magazine as one of the top schools in the country in terms of community impact."

"According to a release from the college, WVU Law placed second in the magazine’s law school honor roll. Honorees were ranked in connection with the pro bono services they provided during the 2015-2016 year."

Students' pro bono work wins WVU Law national recognition | West Virginia Record
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,063,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Interesting read from a Pittsburgh perspective about WVU Medicine's massive growth and hiring spree. Some interesting things in the article:

"The system employs more than 12,000 people and its outpatient volume has been growing by 8 percent to 10 percent annually in recent years, Mr. Wright said, while preliminary discussions are underway for a second patient tower."

"Funding the growth spurt at WVU Medicine was a $200 million bond issue in 2013 and a $150 million issue that is anticipated to close in March." So the 200 million bond issue was for the tower that is opening right now, makes one wonder what the $150 million is for, possibly the new children's hospital that is supposedly to be announced some time this year.

"“We’re in a major growth mode,” said Mr. Wright, adding that WVU Medicine is recruiting 153 doctors in 2017, including ones to fill 110 new positions. “We’re building an exceptional hospital system in Morgantown, so patients never have to leave West Virginia for great care.”"

WVU Medicine courts staff, patients to keep up with its growth | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
I read somewhere that recent acquisitions have actually boosted total employment to around 14,000, but I can't recall where I saw that. The surprising thing is Mon General continues to prosper and grow literally next door to this outstanding system.

I think it is inevitable that one of the Wheeling hospitals will join in at some point. Ohio Valley was bought out by the same company that owns the hospital in Fairmont, but Wheeling Hospital lacks a larger affiliation so that would be likely. Getting a hospital in Wheeling involved would put even more competitive pressure on Pittsburgh from a different direction.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I read somewhere that recent acquisitions have actually boosted total employment to around 14,000, but I can't recall where I saw that. The surprising thing is Mon General continues to prosper and grow literally next door to this outstanding system.
It'll be interesting to see the explosion in growth if the state gets rid of the onerous process to receive a certificate of need to expand a hospital. Supposedly the state is looking at doing away with the stupid system.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see the explosion in growth if the state gets rid of the onerous process to receive a certificate of need to expand a hospital. Supposedly the state is looking at doing away with the stupid system.
The state would benefit greatly if they got the political hack appointee system out of the way of progress, that's for sure. Healthcare options and quality would grow quickly without that senseless albatross.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:42 PM

255 posts, read 392,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

I think it is inevitable that one of the Wheeling hospitals will join in at some point. Ohio Valley was bought out by the same company that owns the hospital in Fairmont, but Wheeling Hospital lacks a larger affiliation so that would be likely. Getting a hospital in Wheeling involved would put even more competitive pressure on Pittsburgh from a different direction.
I was just thinking the same thing about Mon General. They too are growing by leaps and bounds with lots of new construction around their main unit plus taking over other facilities and practices both in Morgantown and in surrounding areas such as Preston Memorial.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM

Default More Than 100 Employers Come to WVU Career Fair

More than 100 employers (some of them local to Morgantown and some others from West Virginia companies) came to interview WVU students for job openings at this year's WVU career fair.

The Dominion Post - Hundreds attend career fair at WVU

Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 AM

Five-time Grammy winning rapper Lil Wayne will perform at the WVU Creative Arts in Morgantown on April 17

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Lil Wayne coming to Morgantown

Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 AM

891 posts, read 1,056,692 times
Quote:
Five-time Grammy winning rapper Lil Wayne will perform at the WVU Creative Arts in Morgantown on April 17

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Lil Wayne coming to Morgantown

hmmm, Dominion Post said he was playin the Coliseum lol.....The Dominion Post - Lil Wayne will play the Coliseum on April 7

Old 02-16-2017, 09:40 AM

I have to admit I've never heard of him, but then again rap music is not a preferred style for me but you are correct, he is playing the coliseum. To be playing there, he must have some large following.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:47 AM

334 posts, read 496,540 times
2008-2009 he was one of the hottest music artist in the industry.

He is still riding from that success.

WVU A & E got him for very cheap.

I mean it's pretty cool but wait a couple more years til you see him at Mainstage Morgantown. Tickets will be cheaper by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown