Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,069,853 times

Advertisements

Monongalia County ranks as West Virginia's second healthiest county, next to ultra rural Pendleton County. In general, counties in the northern part of the state are healthier than the southern counties.

Article - Report: Mon is 2nd-healthiest W.Va. county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM

552 posts, read 740,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Monongalia County ranks as West Virginia's second healthiest county, next to ultra rural Pendleton County. In general, counties in the northern part of the state are healthier than the southern counties.

Article - Report: Mon is 2nd-healthiest W.Va. county
I just read this in the martinsburg paper, whoever said that berkeley county was near the bottom of the list in another thread can srick their foot in their mouth, we are somewhere in the middle with jefferson and nearby hampshire towards the top. I guess this comes as no suprise that northern is healthier then southern, but we are still one of the unhealthiest states, kind of like being the skinniest fat kid.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM

4,977 posts, read 8,983,422 times
That was me you are referring to. I didn't mean to offend you if I did. There's no need to stick my foot in my mouth though because the list was from Gallup and looked at metro areas. Hagerstown-Martinsburg was the second most obese metro, just ahead of Huntington-Ashland. I didn't lie if that's what you are accusing me of. Here's the list for proof.

More Than 1 in 5 Adults Obese in Metro Areas Nationwide

Plus, it wasn't used as an example to show that someone is worse, just to show that we in Appalachian have things that we need to work on. Look at the CDC map. Nearly the entire state is red.

http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/DDT_STRS2/C....aspx?mode=OBS

Old 04-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Point taken, I thought you just grabbed that out of the air. I am trying to make sense of this and figure out how this makes sense though. Here is an article that states that Hagerstown is one of the most obese cities in america

Gallup Poll Puts Hagerstown on List of Most Obese Cities (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/gallop-poll-hagerstown-makes-most-obese-cities-list-040610 - broken link)

Not sure if that skews results. Also it says of the 188 metros surveyed, after a quick search there are 366 metros in the US? I'm not offended just surprised.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM

I was also trying to get full results for all the metros surveyed to see where morgantown and charleston stand on that, couldnt find full results. They said they got those results through phone interviews and results have up to a 6.5% margin of error.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM

4,977 posts, read 8,983,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Not sure if that skews results. Also it says of the 188 metros surveyed, after a quick search there are 366 metros in the US? I'm not offended just surprised.
When they say city, they really mean metro area. None of these lists look at individual cities but rather the metro area as a whole. There are 366 Large and small metro areas but only the large metro areas get looked at for such things. That's why only Charleston and Huntington make these lists typically. They are the only cities that are the main city of large metro areas in the state.

Unfortunately though, that's how they get all of these results is by phone so who knows how accurate they are. I can assure you that they've never called me.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 04-04-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 PM

They never call me, maybe west virginians are just more honest. Also we have an older population, I know the older I get the less healthy I become. Morgantown has the youngest population I assume, so they should ve healthier.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM

Our population is younger, but there is also an attitude in local government around here that promotes a healthy lifestyle. Also, in general our population has a higher educational level and is thus more informed about healthy choices. I have no doubt that influences the results too.

Putnam County is the exception to the rule here, but generally speaking as you move northward in the state there is more regard for the value of education in peoples' lives. Those values also carry over into other aspects of lifestyle. I'm not saying that as anything negative about other areas, but it does point to what might be needed to address the problem as it presents itself in those areas. Ignoring the obvious will not solve the problem there.

Article - All the symptoms of a North-South split

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,890,690 times
Even the locals are healthier here. It is a very active city. People here have the marathon fever that is popular in bigger areas. Also, kayaking, biking, and such are very popular here. As you go south people do tend to get wider and wider.

I know some people dont like the results of the poll, but that is statistics for you. There is no perfect way to get such information. This is done through a technique called regression analysis. You need to choose certain factors that are relevant.

I imagine that obesity is worse in more rural areas of southern WV than it is in the cities.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 AM

There is no question that in general recreational pursuits are somewhat different. Our local emphasis, for example, has always been on hiking/biking trails, rock climbing, and the whitewater. As you go further south they have extensively developed their ATV trails and the like, and the whitewater is mostly used by tourists from out of the area. Those ATV activities are lots of fun too, but they do not require any where near the same level of physical exertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown