Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2024, 12:51 PM

105 posts, read 236,105 times

Advertisements

Last year when we went to Montreal from the US, entering at Stanstead/Derby Line, our GPS directed us into the heart of the city, traffic, construction, stop and go to get to King Edward Parking near our hotel on the Old Port rue de la Commune Est. Going out, the GPS gave us a completely different, much easier route that skirted the inner city streets in the direction of Stanstead/Derby Line. For our upcoming visit, what earlier landmarks can we plug into GPS for ENTERING Montreal by the same breezy outskirts route to get to King Edward Parking on rue de la Commune Est on the Old Port? Merci!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2024, 08:06 PM

3,988 posts, read 5,822,879 times
I don't know about GPS, which is something I seldom use, but in terms of bridges when coming from the East, the Pont Victoria (Victoria Bridge) is a local lesser used bridge that takes you from Longueuil on the east shore to local streets in Montreal (into the Griffintown neighborhood where you can drive up to Old City via local streets). Try not to get tempted to cross the Pont du Champlain (the Champlain Bridge), which carries Autoroute 10 and is the major thoroughfare into the City. Everyone travels on that bridge because it is so obvious and so traffic is worst at the interchange on the other side.

Pardon my asking but why not order or request an old fashioned paper road map, study it, mark your destinations on it, and follow the highway signs until you get into Montreal and then turn on your GPS for local streets? What I learned is that GPS doesn't always chooses the route you want, rather it chooses either the shortest route radius wise, the simplest route, or the most popular route, all of which may not necessarily be the best route, especially if you are on the arterials. AAA/CAA provides wonderful maps and I bet tourist info centers at or near the border have good maps too.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,742,231 times
I second Victoria Bridge. Very few people use it, and it dumps you right into Griffintown, where you can take Wellington straight down to your destination. There will be construction for sure, as that whole area has been undergoing a massive overhaul for years, but you should be able to avoid the major problem areas that you'd otherwise face using Champlain or Jacques-Cartier (or worse, LaFontaine Tunnel.) Also agree that you'd do well to familiarize yourself with the city by checking out an old-fashioned map. Just a heads up, getting onto the bridge from the South Shore is quite weird. So again, I highly suggest you familiarize yourself with the major roads to make your journey easier.

That said, for your sake, I hope you don't plan on using the car much while in the city. It is MUCH easier to get around without it if you're staying on the island, especially considering the location of your hotel.

Old Today, 02:37 PM

105 posts, read 236,105 times
Default Thank you and Merci!

Your recommendation to aim for Victoria Bridge is so helpful. Thank you.

Oh, when we visited before, we didn't use our car at all. Your city is just great for walking around (and walking off wonderful food) or taking your public transportation. We had a great time.

Last edited by Browsing Duo; Today at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Added information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal