Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2021, 10:37 AM

15 posts, read 13,239 times

Advertisements

Sorry for openning the new thread but I cound't find any existing one that could fit my question. By few recommendations, I have booked a stay in Montreal for May 2022 at the budget 2-star hotel Abri du Voyageur (St. Catherine Street) for one person, with shared bathroom. Apparently, I can book a room with the debit card as I am currently in no position to hold a credit card. Also, they don't require refundable pre-payment for damage deposit. As for downtown-placed hotels, I'm wondering if someone with more experience could tell me is the place worth the price (around CAD 700 for 8 nights, similar in both cases of booking directly or via Booking.com) , and what are the booking policies of other nearby hotels (most of ones listed on Booking.com that I contacted require pre-payment, credit card-only, damage deposit etc...) And most of them (unlike the one I mentioned above) don't have breakfast included in the price, which is pretty opposite to the norm througout most of the Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 05:00 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
I have never stayed there. It looks very simple and not very chic, but it should be fine for you.

The location is great and very close to the heart of all the action.

May will be a great time there.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:36 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,778,744 times
I don't often stay in downtown hotels because they tend to be pricier and often don't include breakfast and free parking. One of the few exceptions was when I stayed at the 3-star Courtyard on Boulevard Rene-Levesque close to the Desjardins Bank complex my third visit to Montreal in 2015 and it was around $181 CAD total for one night for 4 people plus parking in their indoor secured garage, breakfast not included. For the fourth and last visit to Montreal in 2018, I stayed out in Laval at a Quality Inn where free parking and free breakfast were included and then took the STM Metro into Downtown. Stays out there tend to be cheaper, maybe around $125-$150 CAD before taxes. $700 CAD for 8 nights sounds very cheap but then again your staying in a 1 person room and have to share a bathroom, that's almost like staying in a hostel to me and being on St. Catherine Street, you're right there where all the action is. I guess it all comes down to how close you want to be to Downtown Montreal, how familiar you are with the area, and how clean and hospitable you want your lodging to be. I too am quite the budget traveler but I personally tend not to book in a budget hotel (meaning less than 3 star) in downtowns because they often aren't as clean as their suburban counterparts. As a side note, my experience with hotels in Canada is if you're paying by debit card, they often tack on a refundable deposit fee when you check in, which will be refunded when you check out so make sure you have adequate funds in your account beyond the base hotel fee.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:16 PM

Thank you both for clearing things up for me. I don't quite care about the parking as I don't drive. The thing is, the last time I was in Montreal was in 2016. in my relative's house in suburban city of Laval, district Sainte Rose (now that is not an option since my family no longer live in Canada). Therefore I had quite limited time to spend in the Downtown area, which was my wish to explore more and still is. Altough I had OPUS card so I was able to travel with train from EXO's Sainte Rose station directly to Lucien L'Allier or in some cases to Gare Parc and then with metro or bus to Centre Vile. I can say that I am quite familiar with the whole Downtown area (because Google Street View was a big help with that too and also because I was there already, not much, but spended like 3 hours straight, two days in a row). I like the fact that all the points of my interest is (in general) in short to medium walking distance from the hotel (City Center, Old Port, Old Town, Mount Royal etc.) Regarding money I need to have on my card, I calculated, of course, to put extra money than the base price, for deposits etc. Once again thanks.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:18 AM

This might be a basic question, but I'll ask anyway. Regarding the transport between YUL and Downtown Montreal, I read there is a 747 bus line the covers this route. If I am the tourist and I have canadian dollars with myself (both bills and coins) , is there a way I can simply buy a ticket for that bus and where (I mean not passes, cards etc. but simple one-way ticket)? And where exactly are terminal for that line located in YUL and how often they run on weekdays (now regarding Covid etc.). I know there is also a taxi but I was wondering about cheaper alternative tor ech downtown

Old 01-02-2022, 04:04 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Here is all the info you need about the 747 (en anglais): https://www.stm.info/en/info/network...wntown-shuttle

Public transport is always cheaper than taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal