Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,748 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Canadian neighbors. I'd like some insight, hopefully as much as generously possible on whether or not Montreal would be the best place to move to when immigrating to Canada. Currently, I am a student and will have the opportunity to transfer via study pass to a Canadian Uni, of which I'm considering a few in this city & Ottawa. Hopefully in the Spring 2022 semester. Aside from, I'm using this method of study as an eventual path towards citizenship. I do know that Quebec citizenship is a "little" different to my understanding, but how different?

In general, I'm also looking for a restart of sorts in a new country after this pandemic & eventual border reopening, and Canada seems like a good place for that ideal. I know from my own research that it is advantageous to know or plan to know some cursory French, and Montreal does offer free classes for immigrants. However, is that the best way to go about it, or would Ottawa be a safer bet? In terms of money/funds, either city would work based on what I've seen of renting prices, so that's not an issue thankfully.

I'm not in any special "programs" at the moment, and work would be kinda freelance unless I wanted a government job like what one can find easily in Ottawa. For a little background I've worked in school administration before & freelance writing, but I guess I'm looking to find myself, again, and change to whatever comes.

Is Montreal good for that sort of thing? A late 20s something looking to start over in a new city, hopefully immigrate later, etc. I'm going for either Ottawa (safer, calm, laid back) or a new culture with a little more to offer in Montreal, coming from Upstate NY, being relatively "close" to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 08:19 PM

26,920 posts, read 38,218,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward_Traveler View Post
Hopefully in the Spring 2022 semester. Aside from, I'm using this method of study as an eventual path towards citizenship. I do know that Quebec citizenship is a "little" different to my understanding, but how different?
There isn't anything different about citizenship. The Canadian federal government has the sole authority for granting citizenship and it's the same all across the country.

Now, there are some differences in terms of immigration processes to Quebec. But they are mostly useful to people who already speak French.

On a general level, Montreal is probably not the best choice to move to as a first choice if you don't already speak French. There are some jobs that only require English but even so, most entry-level jobs and even joe jobs and service level jobs require the language.

If you have someone who lines up an English only job for you before arriving it can definitely work, but otherwise pounding the pavement to find job when you have no French can be tough.

A place like Ottawa where you'd be plug and play with your English might be a better choice. Plus Montreal is only 2 hours away.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you have someone who lines up an English only job for you before arriving it can definitely work, but otherwise pounding the pavement to find job when you have no French can be tough.

A place like Ottawa where you'd be plug and play with your English might be a better choice. Plus Montreal is only 2 hours away.
Thank you for responding, this was actually my first impression given what I already know or researched. I figure it would be best to start off with Ottawa soon given that it's a stable city economically, better job opportunities due to being a Gov town, very safe, laid back, and likely one of the easier cities in NA to actually immigrate into. I was just curious if I could/should take a risk, which, as you say is "possible" but it makes much more sense to start off seriously when considering this, and leave Montreal for fun weekend travels.

I'd still take French classes, as Ottawa is also bilingual (less so, but still) and I could at least do so at my own pace with actual roots in the country set up first.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:54 AM

193 posts, read 218,702 times
Ottawa is probably more English than Montreal but it still is bilingual due to being adjacent to Gatineau. Most gov jobs require you to be bilingual. In both Montreal and Ottawa, there are a lot of IT jobs. IT is the only field an immigrant can easily get into. It's also a field where you don't necessarily need a high level of French.

Montreal is a good city to be a student in. But if you are thinking about career, it is better to go somewhere anglophone. There is a limit to how fluent an anglophone can learn French. It's not easy. That said, there is no shortage of anglophones flocking to Montreal every year for some reason lol. I guess it's all the IT jobs.

As for the immigration laws, it depends on which program you go for. You can choose the Quebec one or the federal one. IF you do the Quebec one, you sign a clause that says "I intend to live in Quebec and settle down in Quebec as my base in Canada". I guess this deters people from moving to a different province after getting their papers. But once you get your permanent residence, you have the rights to live in any part of Canada, as a legal permanent resident of Canada. I know a friend who moved to Toronto after getting his papers in Quebec. He had no problem so far. But usually, immigrants sort of depend on the whims of CIC. These things can change any day. They may recall your case and accuse you of being a 'fraud', if you are extremely unlucky.

If you didn't have job market in mind, I would say Montreal is an excellent place as your first city in Canada.

In terms of housing market, all things considered, I would say Ottawa and Montreal are the most attractive market in Canada right now. Price has gone up exponentially in the last 3 years but wait another 3 years. You will be priced out (similar situation to what you see in Toronto or Vancouver).

Old 10-24-2021, 07:37 AM

26,920 posts, read 38,218,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
Ottawa is probably more English than Montreal but it still is bilingual due to being adjacent to Gatineau.
).
Ottawa is definitely way more English than Montreal.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:06 PM

336 posts, read 592,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward_Traveler View Post
Is Montreal good for that sort of thing? A late 20s something looking to start over in a new city, hopefully immigrate later, etc. I'm going for either Ottawa (safer, calm, laid back) or a new culture with a little more to offer in Montreal, coming from Upstate NY, being relatively "close" to both.
Do you have any family or close friends in Montréal?

Are you moving by yourself or will you have someone else move with you? Will it be another family member?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal