Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 09:09 AM

8,136 posts, read 7,521,586 times

Advertisements

I never thought about this before, but apparently if you order online from a giant delivery service you can unwittingly be ordering from some guy cooking frozen food in his Mom's kitchen with zero health inspection. And apparently the giant delivery services don't want to get involved in the origin of the meals they deliver. I guess if you live in a city you know what restaurants you like, but if you're new or visiting you may be rolling the dice.

Article in French -- Google translation available
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...treal#cxrecs_s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 10:21 AM

1,371 posts, read 675,623 times
On the rare occasion we have ordered from a service, it's been places that we know are restaurants. If I was ordering from a place I didn't know, I'd Google the place and check reviews, etc.

Rules regarding food prep differ from state to state and country to country. A few years back, I was thinking about vending at a farmer's market and looked into it. In Florida, it was called cottage food industry and you could only sell things like breads, cookies, cakes, shelf stable preserves, canned food, etc, i.e. nothing that required being kept hot or cold for storage. If you wanted to sell something that required being hot or cold, then you had to go through the full process.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,718 posts, read 81,625,646 times
We don't use those services at all. Either we pick up at one of our favorite restaurants, or order from good restaurants that use their own delivery people (pizza and Chinese). Also, we will go to one of the food trucks by
a favorite restaurant that added one or went all food truck due to the pandemic.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:11 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I never thought about this before, but apparently if you order online from a giant delivery service you can unwittingly be ordering from some guy cooking frozen food in his Mom's kitchen with zero health inspection. And apparently the giant delivery services don't want to get involved in the origin of the meals they deliver. I guess if you live in a city you know what restaurants you like, but if you're new or visiting you may be rolling the dice.

I know that in some markets, Chucky Cheese's was selling pizza under the name of DiAngelo's ay some point early on in the pandemic.

Do realize that there are a lot of ghost kitchens out there. Closed restaurants have leased out their kitchens to other restaurants to prepare a lot of the delivery food so that it does not impact their main kitchen.

https://www.ghostkitchenbrands.com/
https://www.wsav.com/news/consumer-r...ndemic-dining/
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/outside-...ra-restaurants
https://marker.medium.com/how-a-shad...s-b7ac1a099c8c

Old 02-26-2021, 06:30 AM

16,435 posts, read 12,592,293 times
The major food delivery services (in the US at least) aren't going to do business with some guy reheating frozen food in his mom's kitchen. Too much room for liability. They're going to have established restaurants with appropriate business licenses.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:04 AM

19,462 posts, read 27,955,044 times
Since I'm not living in France, I'm not even worried enough about this to go thru the minimal effort of Google translating and reading the article.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:37 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,722,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I know that in some markets, Chucky Cheese's was selling pizza under the name of DiAngelo's ay some point early on in the pandemic.

Do realize that there are a lot of ghost kitchens out there. Closed restaurants have leased out their kitchens to other restaurants to prepare a lot of the delivery food so that it does not impact their main kitchen.

https://www.ghostkitchenbrands.com/
https://www.wsav.com/news/consumer-r...ndemic-dining/
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/outside-...ra-restaurants
https://marker.medium.com/how-a-shad...s-b7ac1a099c8c
Yes, but many ghost kitchens will be associated with an existing restaurant. For example, we have a delivery burrito company that popped up that is associated with a Mexican restaurant. Another Chicago chain has also opened up a lot of ghost kitchens to serve the suburbs and many other cities.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:11 AM

16,410 posts, read 30,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Since I'm not living in France, I'm not even worried enough about this to go thru the minimal effort of Google translating and reading the article.
Journal de Montreal is a francophone newspaper in Canada.

==========================

Would I trust a restaurant because it is recommended through a site like Ubereats?

Nope.

One of the food delivery websites in Tucson created a website for a local restaurant without the consent of the particular restaurant. When the promised food was not delivered, the restaurant owners received all of the complaints. They made a lot of efforts to get the site shut down.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:11 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,526,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The major food delivery services (in the US at least) aren't going to do business with some guy reheating frozen food in his mom's kitchen. Too much room for liability. They're going to have established restaurants with appropriate business licenses.
True, but what I have heard that's been an issue with some of the delivery services is that the restaurant hasn't contracted with these companies, but the delivery companies say that they do--they end up placing take-out orders as regular customers unbeknowst to the restaurant. But if something happens with the order, the customer blames the restaurant, who didn't know that GrubHub was even involved. Or scammers order food with stolen credit cards, so restaurants don't get their money.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:04 PM

6,869 posts, read 4,320,989 times
How many people check the health inspection reports for the restaurants they frequent? You can look it up online generally but how many people go to the trouble? Trust me, you won't always like what you find. It takes a lot to get a restaurant closed down.

Also worth noting, in some locations inspections have been carried out 'virtually' since the start of the pandemic and you can imagine that may have reduced their thoroughness considerably.

My point is that even going to your favorite neighborhood restaurant you can't be sure that all standards and practices are up to scratch. So you can cook yourself really..but then of course those ingredients..who knows about those?

Unless you're planting, harvesting, storing and cooking all of your own food, you're always depending on other people following rules and doing their jobs properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal