Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 07:23 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times

Advertisements

Is this Longueil neighborhood considered poor in modern times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGN10jvPeY
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 06:08 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
I'd say it's considered gentrifying working class. Not really considered "rough" these days.

I knew a guy who grew up there in the 70s and he described it as very rough back then.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:08 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Are there still any "rough areas" left in the Mtl area? It seems that unlike other cities MTL is improving everywhere. I saw it happening when I live there.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:30 AM

Montréal-Nord still has a decent concentration of rougher areas. Recently a newspaper article (in La Presse not Le Journal de Montréal) referred to part of Montréal-Nord as "le Bronx" and this caused something of a controversy.

There are historically rougher areas in districts like Côte-des-Neiges and Hochelaga-Maisonneuve but they are shrinking rather quickly as the gentrification of these areas nears completion.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:44 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montréal-Nord still has a decent concentration of rougher areas. Recently a newspaper article (in La Presse not Le Journal de Montréal) referred to part of Montréal-Nord as "le Bronx" and this caused something of a controversy.

There are historically rougher areas in districts like Côte-des-Neiges and Hochelaga-Maisonneuve but they are shrinking rather quickly as the gentrification of these areas nears completion.
I still have family in Montreal-Nord and have done work there, and to be honest, I'm so sick of the whole "Montreal Nord is ghetto, rough and like The Bronx". Montreal-Nord is far from ghetto and even the rough spots are nothing compared to the United States. HoMa and Parc-Ex are rougher, but even then compared to other areas in Canada/U.S, it's a walk in the park.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:20 AM

Even parc ex has improved. I haven't been there in a long time but I know some one that recently purchased property there.

I am not as familiar with Mtl Nord. The closest areas to there I lived in were Ahuntsic and St Michel. Both had their problems but have also been cleaned up somewhat.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:30 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Bronx? Montreal-Nord? Seriously?
The only comparison between the two is the heavy ethnic/minority population.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:36 AM

I don't have anything against Montréal-Nord and I also have or had relatives living there until fairly recently. Their area was very middle class and the part near the river along Gouin is actually quite beautiful.

But it still arguably has the largest "rough" (by Montreal and Canadian standards) area in the city.

Crime (and even violent crime) is not very concentrated in specific areas in Montreal, at least not compared to other cities. Murders are quite rare overall, but when they do occur they're not typically concentrated in one or a handful of areas.

It's freaky to look at murder maps for other cities and see almost all of the homicides (often a frightening number) bunched up in certain smaller areas, with much larger segments of the city having almost none. Sometimes it feels like you're looking at too different cities a universe apart.

Montreal isn't like that.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:58 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Growing up in the area, I was always under the impression that this area was the worst part of the city:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...!4d-80.0364297

Basically, Hochelaga, Rouen, Ontario, in that particular part.

It never felt dangerous per say, but I recall always seeing lots of prostitutes and what appeared to be drug activity out there. Looking at Googlemaps, doesn't look like the buildings/streets have been cleaned up much, and it still looks seedy. Has it changed at all?

I never got nearly the same kind of vibe in Montreal-Nord that was so prevalent in Hochelaga.

Also, hasn't Pointe St-Charles been the poorest part of town for quite some time?

As far as Longueil and the South Shore is concerned, growing up, we always thought Lemoyne was the biggest dump out there.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Growing up in the area, I was always under the impression that this area was the worst part of the city:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...!4d-80.0364297

Basically, Hochelaga, Rouen, Ontario, in that particular part.

It never felt dangerous per say, but I recall always seeing lots of prostitutes and what appeared to be drug activity out there. Looking at Googlemaps, doesn't look like the buildings/streets have been cleaned up much, and it still looks seedy. Has it changed at all?

I never got nearly the same kind of vibe in Montreal-Nord that was so prevalent in Hochelaga.

Also, hasn't Pointe St-Charles been the poorest part of town for quite some time?

As far as Longueil and the South Shore is concerned, growing up, we always thought Lemoyne was the biggest dump out there.
Yeah I was actually going to mention that. That Ontario corridor from the Bus station and Berri Uqam downtown all the way east to Hochelaga area was pretty grimey a few decades ago. Lots of prostitution, drugs, street people etc. I have seen some messed up stuff out there, but I think that area has also been cleaned up. Not as bad as it used to be.

The point has also gone through some change. That whole area Griffintown, The point and little Burgundy has really changed. I have walked through late night, never had anything happen. I am talking 15-20 years ago though. I heard it was worse in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal