Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 PM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll continue to call it Dorval Airport as its easier to say than Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.
Question for all in the Montreal-Gatineau-eastern Ontario areas: is it referred to by that name all the time? Setting such airport codes as YYZ and YUL aside, I'm thinking of Lester B. Pearson International Airport in Toronto, which is colloquially known simply as "Pearson." Is the Montreal airport similarly known simply as "Trudeau"?

As an aside, you may know that Calgary airport recently built a new transborder/international terminal. Various comedians made much of the speculation that it would be called the Stephen Harper International Terminal.

It wasn't, but think about it for a moment. At any rate, it made a lot of us Albertans laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Question for all in the Montreal-Gatineau-eastern Ontario areas: is it referred to by that name all the time? Setting such airport codes as YYZ and YUL aside, I'm thinking of Lester B. Pearson International Airport in Toronto, which is colloquially known simply as "Pearson." Is the Montreal airport similarly known simply as "Trudeau"?

As an aside, you may know that Calgary airport recently built a new transborder/international terminal. Various comedians made much of the speculation that it would be called the Stephen Harper International Terminal.

It wasn't, but think about it for a moment. At any rate, it made a lot of us Albertans laugh.
Just curious - how did major Canadian airports have their IATA code start with a "Y"?

e.g.
YVR = Vancouver
YUL = Montreal Dorval
YYZ = Toronto Pearson
YOB = Quebec City

Old 03-27-2019, 01:48 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Just curious - how did major Canadian airports have their IATA code start with a "Y"?

e.g.
YVR = Vancouver
YUL = Montreal Dorval
YYZ = Toronto Pearson
YOB = Quebec City
It has to do with weather stations, and Canada adopting "Y" for aviation purposes, to go in front of the two-letter abbreviations for the weather stations. See here:

Quote:
These were all two letters in length, and weren’t necessarily an obvious abbreviation of the location name.

Then the international aviation body IATA established that each airport should have a three letter code. Rather than each Canadian airport completely renaming their codes to match the name of the airport or city they served, they simply added a ‘Y’ to the front of each 2 letter code, with the Y indicating that each airport was Canadian. I believe airports were already adding a Y to the front of their 2 letter code, where there was a weather station attached to the airport – the Y indicating ‘Yes’ there is a weather station there.
So we have YYZ (Toronto Pearson), YUL (Montreal Trudeau), YVR (Vancouver), and even YQL (Lethbridge, Alberta, though I have no idea where the Q came from).

It would be nice if we had TOR, MON, VAN, and LET (for those cities, or whatever other abbreviations would not overlap with other codes), but we don't. We just deal with what we have. At any rate, I'm glad that my cat, whose name was Denver, got from YYZ to YYC, without going to DEN first.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:

Generally no.

Though the media do refer to "l'aéroport Montréal-Trudeau" a lot. They also refer to "Dorval airport" or simply "Dorval".

But in common speech in Montreal it's either "Dorval" or simply "the airport" as others have stated.

If someone in Ottawa is talking about flying out of either one of the two big cities nearby, generally they'd say they're flying out of "Pearson" or "Montreal".

One of the reasons for "Pearson" being common usage is that it's been the name for far longer. Trudeau as the name of Montreal's airport goes back less than 20 years IIRC. PET died around 2002 (IIRC) so I think the airport was given his name around that time. Pearson I believe has been the name in Toronto since when I was a kid in the 70s.

Also, Pearson has never been identified with its location, which I guess might be Mississauga or Malton? I've never heard anyone use those names for the airport in my lifetime.

Dorval has used for ages and is a very precise location. (Dorval is a lot smaller than Mississauga, for example.)

Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 AM

OK so the name Pearson goes back to 1984. Trudeau goes back to 2004.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 AM

518 posts, read 398,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Dorval municipality has no jurisdiction over the airport.

It does not make a difference because Dorval officially is bilingual and the airport is owned by Transport Canada = which is bilingual, too. Bill 101 does not affect Dorval airport [and with its 1000 exceptions much is not affected]. So unilingual anglophones are all allowed to never ever use French and they proudly exercise their rights.

Quote:
Question for all in the Montreal-Gatineau-eastern Ontario areas: Is the Montreal airport similarly known simply as "Trudeau"?
No

Quote:
Just curious - how did major Canadian airports have their IATA code start with a "Y"? YOB = Quebec City

It's so strange that Aéroport international Jean-Lesage de Québec has YOB as a code
Q is not even a common letter, actually Q is one of the rarest IATA letters with the fewest airports and lots of free spaces.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:19 AM

The code is actually YQB.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:49 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
The code is actually YQB.
Yes, my bad!

"Yob" is Aussie or British slang for a hooligan, ruffian or obnoxious chap - not trying to be offensive to the good people of Quebec City. My apologies!

Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, my bad!

"Yob" is Aussie or British slang for a hooligan, ruffian or obnoxious chap - not trying to be offensive to the good people of Quebec City. My apologies!
I am not from Quebec City, but I am sure no offence was taken.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM

518 posts, read 398,705 times
I don't think francophone North Americans feel offended by British slang*, it might also be interpreted as a compliment because yob = loutishness = assertiveness = strength = you get what you want = woman admire that = winner. In my opinion yob is a compliment.

Quote:
I am not from Quebec City, but I am sure no offence was taken.
yeah, everyone from World Forums knows that

*only New York and Netflix English are known anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal