Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:13 PM

11 posts, read 15,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
I would also say Sherbrooke, QC. The city has universities both anglo and franco and metro population of 200,000. It is larger than any community in the Laurentides. There are lots of lakes and rolling hills. The mountains there are more sporadic. only Mont Orford, Mont Megantic and Mont Sutton nearby but I really appreciate the view of a lone mountain alongside the plains. Mountain with the contrast of open plains makes for a good view. besides, you could cross the border to Vermont and NH for more mountains.
Hmm, that's an interesting option. I have not been to Sherbrooke yet. I did hike on Mont Orford once though. Mont Saint Hilaire is a nice hump of a little mountain with a cute village at the base and not very far from Montreal too. I haven't been there. I should have gone to these places when I still had my car! I am finding now, that I don't feel like spending money on a car rental, even though I'm saving money NOT having a car right now. I could also get to Saint Hilaire by two metros and two buses, but that sounds like such an ordeal. Or maybe not, I don't know. There is a train too, but the timing is meant more for people commuting for work in Montreal and I'm going the opposite direction and so the first train isn't until 12:30pm (and I want to go hike there) and it takes almost two hours to get there like that, instead of about 40 min via car.

Although in the Laurentides, you have all those little villages all lined up and the Petit train du Nord for skiing in winter and biking in summer, which is a big appeal to me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestElf View Post
Why Morin Heights over some of the other little cities/villages? I've heard good things about Val David and am going to visit there this coming week if I can find a good weather day.
People are recommending Morin Heights because it is the town in the Laurentians with the most anglos.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People are recommending Morin Heights because it is the town in the Laurentians with the most anglos.
Ohhh! Oh ok, but I actually prefer a less anglophone place. Yes, I am an anglophone, but I do speak French (although not perfectly bilingual). But one of the reasons I moved to Quebec was to speak French again, so I prefer more of a French language immersion. I am not here for a job, relationship or school. I just moved here by choice, so I almost feel like there's no point for me to live in Quebec if I'm not going to speak French. I know others will have different reasons to live here (whether they speak French or not), so this is just how I feel about the situation for myself. If I am around mostly anglophones, then of course I will speak English and this makes me lazy about speaking French.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 AM

I just visited Val David for a few days. I absolutely loved it and it has what I need (or want, rather). So, I'll be moving there this summer.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I never gave language a thought when recommending Morin Heights ,the reason for my recommendation was the music and arts scene and skiing at Beleview ski area less than a mile from town center.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:44 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,011 times
Or you could move to vieux rosemount and go to Maisonneuve park. Or take a bus to the east side of the mountain and go hike from there. Plus take urban safaris to HOMA or the Plateau. Where I live is predominately French and my French has improved a lot without really trying. Trying to type on a tablet here so excuse the errors.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:41 AM

194 posts, read 423,226 times
Val-David would fit probably your requirements, more than Morin-Heights. I would not move there without a car however.
Mont St Hilaire is a very nice suburb of Montreal, but just a suburb.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 AM

Yes, Val-David is what I decided on. It perfectly fits what I wanted. I have been going there about every two weeks and know some local people there already. Thought I found a place to live, but then changed my mind and am looking again. I am in the process of buying a car too.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
If you find a place to live in the Val-David village itself, transit is relatively convenient : l'Inter des Laurentides has 10 departures per day in each direction, and goes all the way from Mont-Tremblant to the train/bus station in St-Jérôme, where you can connect with the suburban train or the very frequent bus #9 that takes you to métro Montmorency.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-08-2018, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 5,625 times
Newfoundland might be a good fit for you! Newfoundland has all the outdoor activities and more you mentioned plus the quaintness of its communities. The Newfoundland culture and music is unique...for sure. Newfoundland and Labrador has a reputation for being friendly. Warm and welcoming, fun loving and funny to the core, the people here are also known for their natural creativity, unique language, and knack for storytelling. Maclean’s magazine thinks Newfoundland and Labrador has one of the Top 10 Friendliest Cultures in the World! The Newfoundland hospitality is second to none! Hope you enjoy your visit here this Summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal