Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,099 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am eager to learn french to build as a new asset to open more future career opportunities. I have been continuing to practice learning french (the book french for dummies, duolingo, asking french friends questions about things) so that I can prepare to know as much french as possible. I was looking online for resources regarding learning french in montreal. I dont have a job lined up, and am moving in April.I can live off savings for a little bit, but I am really wanting to learn as much french as possible so I can get *A* job to live off whether its working as a cashier or whatnot to hold me over.

My question is: Are there any resources to help anglophones learn french to assimilate in order to obtain a job to live?

Are there social assistance programs to help me out in the mean time? Loans or grants provided to those doing government funded french programs? university level advanced french programs?

I really want to make it in this city. I have such a love for the culture and language of Quebec! All help is appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 AM

193 posts, read 216,805 times
I should say that it's not that difficult to find a job without French language in Montreal, but you will be stuck with the kind of jobs that are close to minimum wage. YMMV if you have connections. There are always jobs in call centres that only require English.

The difficult part is Montreal is so bilingual that if you don't give your full commitment to learning French and immersing yourself in Quebecois society, your French will not improve. I got here having exactly that mindset, but when I started living here, I caved into anglodom quite quickly. Most important thing, you have to find friends here that are willing to speak ONLY in French here. I recommend moving east like Hochelaga-Maisonneuve to immerse yourself. I think it took my anglophone friend 5 years to be conversational in French (Quebecois version), and he was talented in learning languages. You need more time if you're so so in languages.

Lastly, if you're over 30, I wouldn't recommend moving to Montreal as an anglophone unless you're ok with low income. I think it's worth it for someone in their 20's to live in Montreal for a while, work odd jobs, enjoy the nightlife in Montreal, enjoy the city etc. But, when you get to 30, you gotta worry about your career and having kids. Without fluent French, you won't be able to have a proper career.

That said there seems to be quite a number of people who found good jobs with minimal French language. Some jobs that don't require fluent French are : big companies, banking, IT, programming, etc. Most likely, you have to be skilled or have connections. Or there is a shortage of workers in that field. If you're lucky enough, you could be one of them. I'd say make connections fast when you get to Montreal.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,099 times
Thank you! That was helpful!

Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,752 times
Mr. Daynet speaks very little French, though he understands quite a bit of it. He's an Ontario native.

He worked for many years at a food plant that was located in Lachine (since shut down and re-located east) without a problem. He made very good money there.

He retired just before the food plant shut down; the timing for him was perfect.

I am Toronto-born myself, though since the age of nine years old, grew up in and still live in Quebec.

DH comes from a small town near Belleville, Ontario.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda90 View Post

I really want to make it in this city. I have such a love for the culture and language of Quebec! All help is appreciated. Thank you
What comes to mind for you when thinking of immersing yourself in this francophone culture? aside from some minor regional differences the culture is the same as your Anglo culture only the means of communication is different.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 PM

565 posts, read 671,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What comes to mind for you when thinking of immersing yourself in this francophone culture? aside from some minor regional differences the culture is the same as your Anglo culture only the means of communication is different.
Haha you’re funny.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
These same people would object strongly to eliminating the Canada-USA border because of perceived differences and that Canada is sooooooo unique.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Haha you’re funny.
I was just curious as to what our op thinks he'll find after going to all the trouble of moving to Montreal and striving to become fluent in French.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
I was just curious as to what our op thinks he'll find after going to all the trouble of moving to Montreal and striving to become fluent in French.
Fluency in French does have practical benefits beyond just cultural exploration. Obviously in Canada it opens up your career prospects as more bilingual job opportunities become available. Additionally, it is useful when travelling to certain countries. Not just France but also former French colonies. I've found out some interesting things about what they think about Canada in those places also.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
I will partly agree with you and say that even if living in Montreal speaking only English is definitely do-able (with some limits), I don't see the point of moving there and definitely having to deal with French in some capacity (YMMV on this it seems) if you're not interested at all in the francophone cultural element of the city. Which definitely does exist and is unique BTW.

Barring that interest, though, a unilingual anglophone person is definitely better off moving to Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or Ottawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal