Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,622,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yes, I am generally referring to people from the two cities TO and Montreal. Of course it'd be a different answer for someone from Florida or Texas or even France.
or Vancouver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,153,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
or Vancouver
Predictable...

Old 11-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Predictable...
LOL

I do my best

Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,759,365 times
Quote:
or Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Predictable...
An ideal place would have Vancouver's weather, Montreal's urban core and Toronto's economy. Oh well. Nothing is perfect.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
An ideal place would have Vancouver's weather, Montreal's urban core and Toronto's economy. Oh well. Nothing is perfect.
Ya, but...when you start to mix and match, those cities cease to be their own.

I like the way it is. What would Montreal be like without it's cold winters? Think of the cultural change that brings.

Weather impacts a city and it's citizens in many ways. I would rather have a climate where people get excited about spring and summer.

A friend from Vancouver who moved to LA over 30 years ago, says as much. It's mostly always nice weather wise in LA...gets boring. In fact he's booked a flight up in December, just to sit in a pub, by a fire, while it storms outside.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,182,821 times
Quote:
Vancouver's weather is hardly "ideal" by any measure. In the Canadian context yes, but it's a huge turn off for a lot of people. When one says ideal, it usually refers to temperate climate with lots of sun and not cloudy days half the year.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Vancouver's weather is hardly "ideal" by any measure. In the Canadian context yes, but it's a huge turn off for a lot of people. When one says ideal, it usually refers to temperate climate with lots of sun and not cloudy days half the year.
Of course... I was simply working with what's available in Canada. Vancouver, Canada's warmest city, acutually is as warm as the coldest city in France, with a lot less sunshine and a lot more rainfall.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Ya, but...when you start to mix and match, those cities cease to be their own.

I like the way it is. What would Montreal be like without it's cold winters? Think of the cultural change that brings.

Weather impacts a city and it's citizens in many ways. I would rather have a climate where people get excited about spring and summer.

A friend from Vancouver who moved to LA over 30 years ago, says as much. It's mostly always nice weather wise in LA...gets boring. In fact he's booked a flight up in December, just to sit in a pub, by a fire, while it storms outside.
I will never agree with this. Excessive cold weather is never a good thing for a city. Also imagine the financial cost of removing 2 meters of snow each year. What would Montreal be with warmer weather? A much more comfortable and attractive city. There is no downside to that.

I agree LA's weather is boring and too hot/sunny for me, but it's still miles better than anywhere in Canada. Human beings are only capable of living under certain conditions. I have a friend who admires Toronto's weather because he loves cold, but he is one of the 0.1%.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:08 AM

193 posts, read 218,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystlady View Post
I heard its alot more easier to make friends in Montreal and it's easier to get around with their subway system compared to the overpriced, overcrowded and unreliable TTC subway here.
i heard this too that people in Montreal are warmer. but then I also heard from this girl who moved from Toronto to Montreal that strangers in public were easier to approach in Toronto.

Not everyone in Montreal is a social butterfly, either.

You can't expect to magically make 10 new friends in your first month. What I've noticed after moving to Montreal from Austin, Texas is that:

- it takes more time to become friends with someone
- people keep only a handful, 2 ~ 3 close friends really and they stick to them
- you need a pitch to become friends with someone (all my friends are people i met from a class) compared to when I was in Austin I made friends from class, at a park, on the bus, at events.
- you should be satisfied with sporadic invitation (i've had people who didn't text me for a year, invite me to a party)
- people don't really mix social groups. they don't introduce each other. in Austin, you make 3 friends, you can have a party from all their friends and acquaintances
- people are not really talkative
- ghosting is common : people you hung out at parties ignore you when you see them in public.
- conversely, in Montreal you have less acquaintances. if they are your friend, they are your friend. no inbetweens.

I've lived here for 4 years and pretty much everyone I know are from either 1) classmates from the school I went to; 2) classmates from the French class I had to take for immigration; 3) connections made from #1 and #2; 4) that one guy i met on Reddit.

First two years, I felt very unstable in my social life as in there were friday nights spent alone or with people that were not really compatible with me. But on my third year, I started meeting people who are compatible with me and it really settled. Nowadays, I'm not really actively seeking new people.

You will be invited to parties, but most people stay within their close circle of friends, you cannot really approach people without introduction at parties, which was not the case in Austin. However, if you are once introduced, you can socialize quite actively, I think this is why people think Montrealers are friendly. But it is single-serving. You are never gonna see that person again. Even for myself, my focus is no longer outward. I'm not trying to add more people to my life here. I'm satisfied with my 3~4 close friends and 4~5 acquaintance/friends here.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I will never agree with this. Excessive cold weather is never a good thing for a city. Also imagine the financial cost of removing 2 meters of snow each year. What would Montreal be with warmer weather? A much more comfortable and attractive city. There is no downside to that.

I agree LA's weather is boring and too hot/sunny for me, but it's still miles better than anywhere in Canada. Human beings are only capable of living under certain conditions. I have a friend who admires Toronto's weather because he loves cold, but he is one of the 0.1%.
Well we are going to have to disagree. Montreal without winter, would not be Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal