Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Montreal's demise as the major financial centre in Canada can only be blamed on the idiotic priorities of its provincial government. The city is placed at the most ideal geographic location, barring cold winters, and is built in such that it should be just as important as any other major American city. Such a shame.
Another view is that the writing was on the wall that Toronto was going to become Canada's biggest city even before the tumultuous 60s had arrived. Toronto was helped by the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway and the westward growth of the Canadian and American economies. A number of Canadian companies and especially banks had shifted their main operations to Toronto before then.

If anything the policies of the Quebec government may have arguably allowed Montreal to avoid becoming another ''Cleveland'' by solidifying its role as the metropolis of Quebec and of French-speaking Canada.

At the moment Montreal is solidifying its stranglehold as the number 2 city of the French-speaking world in a big way, with all of the demographic and economic stuff that that entails.

I really doubt it would have that niche to take advantage of if it was just another random Anglo North American city with French street names and a largish population of minoritized, frustrated French Canadians.

Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 AM

565 posts, read 674,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Montreal's demise as the major financial centre in Canada can only be blamed on the idiotic priorities of its provincial government. The city is placed at the most ideal geographic location, barring cold winters, and is built in such that it should be just as important as any other major American city. Such a shame.
Montreal isn't doing too bad... According to the Global Financial Centres Index, Montreal is now the 3rd financial centre in North America, ahead of Chicago, Boston and San Francisco. Of course you have to take these surveys / indexes with a grain of salt (I mean, really, Montreal ahead of these 3 cities?), but still, the signals are positive.

Last edited by begratto; 10-30-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,182,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another view is that the writing was on the wall that Toronto was going to become Canada's biggest city even before the tumultuous 60s had arrived. Toronto was helped by the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway and the westward growth of the Canadian and American economies. A number of Canadian companies and especially banks had shifted their main operations to Toronto before then.

If anything the policies of the Quebec government may have arguably allowed Montreal to avoid becoming another ''Cleveland'' by solidifying its role as the metropolis of Quebec and of French-speaking Canada.

At the moment Montreal is solidifying its stranglehold as the number 2 city of the French-speaking world in a big way, with all of the demographic and economic stuff that that entails.

I really doubt it would have that niche to take advantage of if it was just another random Anglo North American city with French street names and a largish population of minoritized, frustrated French Canadians.

Just sayin'.
Agreed on all points.

Also, Montreal's economy is currently booming right now thanks to favorable business environment, high quality of life, and low cost of living. There is growing interest from rest of Canada, foreign investors, and francophone immigrants from Europe in investing and living in Montreal (just look the large contingent of recently-arrived French immigrants living in Plateau Mont Royal pushing local real estate prices to Toronto-levels).

The Quebec Government in the past may have done irreversible damage with regards to its language and cultural policies, but what's done is done, and in hindsight, it really wasn't the end of the world as some made it out to be.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What does everyone here think about the REM that's proposed/moving forward?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A...%A9tropolitain

Are you for or against it?
For it 100%. Provided that they build more urban infill stations within the city of Montreal instead of gearing it as an exclusively urban-suburban commuter rail.

Either way, the project seems to be going full steam ahead, with Quebec Premier Couillard apparently staking his entire political legacy on this project.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
It's 5 cents for a plastic bag in the grocery stores I go to here in Quebec.

I also agree that business hours are often much more user-friendly in the U.S. (and Canada to some degree) than in Europe. Of course, it varies from place to place but overall it's not an outrageous statement to make.
I believe the city of Montreal has already banned the sale of plastic bags altogether in grocery stores? Not sure if this has been fully implemented.

And yes, MTL business hours are much more aligned to rest of Canada/US than to that of France. In France, restaurants literally refuse to serve dinner until 19 hr sharp, and most shopping streets become deserted by 19 hr. It's a very different rhythm.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Agreed on all points.

Also, Montreal's economy is currently booming right now thanks to favorable business environment, high quality of life, and low cost of living. There is growing interest from rest of Canada, foreign investors, and francophone immigrants from Europe in investing and living in Montreal (just look the large contingent of recently-arrived French immigrants living in Plateau Mont Royal pushing local real estate prices to Toronto-levels).

The Quebec Government in the past may have done irreversible damage with regards to its language and cultural policies, but what's done is done, and in hindsight, it really wasn't the end of the world as some made it out to be.

For those who are interested in this topic, there is an interesting book by celebrated urban scholar Jane Jacobs: https://www.amazon.ca/Question-Separ.../dp/1926824067

She is better known for her book that has become the bible of urbanists: Death and Life of Great American Cities.

But in this book she gives her perspective of Montreal and Quebec as an American who settled in Toronto.

She actually makes the argument (rare in her day and still rate today) that Montreal in particular would be better off in an independent Quebec. It's the exact opposite of what is always claimed.

The idea being that Montreal in Canada (in a coast to coast context) would always play second fiddle to Toronto. Basically - it's better to be the biggest fish in a small pond than the second fish in a big pond.

What's interesting is that that's basically the niche that Montreal has been carving out for itself, but without Quebec independence.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I believe the city of Montreal has already banned the sale of plastic bags altogether in grocery stores? Not sure if this has been fully implemented.

And yes, MTL business hours are much more aligned to rest of Canada/US than to that of France. In France, restaurants literally refuse to serve dinner until 19 hr sharp, and most shopping streets become deserted by 19 hr. It's a very different rhythm.
Though I am always surprised at how retail stores close down early on Saturday night in Montreal. Even on Ste-Catherine most of the stores and shopping centres close between 5 and 6 pm.

I don't know if it's a Euro thing or it's because Saturday night is sacred and people can't wait to go wine, dine and party?

Even downtown Ottawa is generally open later than downtown Montreal on a Saturday night. For retail shopping anyway.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,892,536 times
Quote:
For those who are interested in this topic, there is an interesting book by celebrated urban scholar Jane Jacobs: https://www.amazon.ca/Question-Separ.../dp/1926824067

She is better known for her book that has become the bible of urbanists: Death and Life of Great American Cities.

But in this book she gives her perspective of Montreal and Quebec as an American who settled in Toronto.

She actually makes the argument (rare in her day and still rate today) that Montreal in particular would be better off in an independent Quebec. It's the exact opposite of what is always claimed.

The idea being that Montreal in Canada (in a coast to coast context) would always play second fiddle to Toronto. Basically - it's better to be the biggest fish in a small pond than the second fish in a big pond.

What's interesting is that that's basically the niche that Montreal has been carving out for itself, but without Quebec independence.
The question that I would pose is "what should a city strive for?" I'd argue that Montreal has preserved its culture and way of life by not being the primary city in Canada. While a strong economy is essential to any great city, I just don't know that being the biggest fish in even a small pond is necessary to be one.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The question that I would pose is "what should a city strive for?" I'd argue that Montreal has preserved its culture and way of life by not being the primary city in Canada. While a strong economy is essential to any great city, I just don't know that being the biggest fish in even a small pond is necessary to be one.
And that's actually a big part of Montreal's ethos.

If you were to ask a Montrealer if it sucks that Toronto has passed Montreal as Canada's biggest city, you'd get a puzzled look from most of them. Likewise, do people in Geneva care that Zurich is the bigger city in Switzerland?

Of course, some people will say they didn't have a choice in the matter, but in their minds in order to even have a chance at remaining number one, Montreal would have had to sell its soul.

The long-time mayor of Montreal Jean Drapeau (who brought the métro, Expo 67 and the Olympics to the city) once famously said: "Toronto may well become Milan, but Montreal will always be Rome."

Some might find that laughable but it does sum up the mindset quite well.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,892,536 times
Quote:
And that's actually a big part of Montreal's ethos.

If you were to ask a Montrealer if it sucks that Toronto has passed Montreal as Canada's biggest city, you'd get a puzzled look from most of them. Likewise, do people in Geneva care that Zurich is the bigger city in Switzerland?

Of course, some people will say they didn't have a choice in the matter, but in their minds in order to even have a chance at remaining number one, Montreal would have had to sell its soul.

The long-time mayor of Montreal Jean Drapeau (who brought the métro, Expo 67 and the Olympics to the city) once famously said: "Toronto may well become Milan, but Montreal will always be Rome."

Some might find that laughable but it does sum up the mindset quite well.
100% the reason I want to move to Montreal and not Toronto. I like Toronto and I think it's a great city, but I love Montreal and want my family to grow up in that culture. The quality of life and culture is just wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal