Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:33 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Typical ad for now, requiring Ph.D.

They still have the luxury of picking and choosing PhDs. Soon, though, the supply will dry out and they will turn attention to us lowly folks without PhDs.... hehehe
Ph.D? Yikes. Something tells me they're going to have a hard time finding applicants with Ph.D's.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 11:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Just leaving this here for The Tourist:

Weekend read: The startups shaping the next wave of AI in Montreal | Montreal Gazette

Quote:
Montreal has become known as one of the world’s leading centres for artificial intelligence research.

It’s a reputation that has attracted international giants like Google, Samsung, Facebook and Microsoft.

But not all of the cutting-edge work on artificial intelligence happening in Montreal is being done by these household names.

The same hotbed of artificial intelligence talent that’s attracting the world’s biggest tech companies is also leading to the rise of local AI startups.

These startups will play an important role in helping Montreal take the next step — from being a leading centre for artificial intelligence research to being a leading centre for artificial intelligence in general...

Old 11-27-2017, 07:28 PM

218 posts, read 510,101 times
Well, when the next Facebook or Google will hail from Montreal I'll pay my attention. I don't read the provincial press.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Oh, get over yourself. They didn't hail from New York either.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:08 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Well, when the next Facebook or Google will hail from Montreal I'll pay my attention. I don't read the provincial press.
Did anyone in MTL even ask for your attention? Lol please don't over-inflate your importance.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM

400 posts, read 422,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Montreal gets yet another investment in A.I! this time from FB, which is big news. We become the 4th centre and they'll be a press conference tomorrow with Justin Trudeau about this. This shows how Montreal is in fact, a world leader in the A.I/Tech world.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/faceboo...eal-1505430201
I'm happy to see Montreal doing well, but am I the only one who thinks that these firms are just in Montreal to soak up the (government-financed) knowledge workers who could have perhaps seeded some home grown tech start-ups with some legs and an attachment to the Montreal region ?? Facebook/Google are getting to be frightfully large and monopolistic and I'm not really O.K. with that myself. Hopefully the employees who work there take what they can get from working there and then do some canadian/quebecois startups afterwards.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:08 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
I'm happy to see Montreal doing well, but am I the only one who thinks that these firms are just in Montreal to soak up the (government-financed) knowledge workers who could have perhaps seeded some home grown tech start-ups with some legs and an attachment to the Montreal region ?? Facebook/Google are getting to be frightfully large and monopolistic and I'm not really O.K. with that myself. Hopefully the employees who work there take what they can get from working there and then do some canadian/quebecois startups afterwards.
It is a legitimate concern but as long as Montreal heads in the direction of other robust innovation economy cities, then it really should not be overly concerned with losing out on start ups.

Every city that is viewed as an innovation hub is able to accommodate the large satellite and even home grown companies along with the start ups. Keep churning out the human capital, find a way to unlock the funding and maybe tweak a few non compete laws here and there and there is no reason Montreal cant follow in the footsteps of places like Silicon Valley, Seattle, Boston, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal