Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

I am interested in whether anybody here will be visiting Portland,Maine this summer. I am searching for boxes of Canadian nickels. Can't get them around here in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
Why not make a trip up to Montreal,have a great time and pick up some nickles while you are here.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 3,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why not make a trip up to Montreal,have a great time and pick up some nickles while you are here.
Actually, had some friends try to do that for me and the banks would not even exchange the loonies and toonies I gave them for nickels. It was because they did not have an account with the bank I was told by them. Oh well.

We do have many Canadians that visiting the Portland area of Maine this summer, so if you know someone that can use US dollars on a 1:1 exchange with Canadian nickels, let them know about my post here.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,785,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikeColoradoTrail View Post
Actually, had some friends try to do that for me and the banks would not even exchange the loonies and toonies I gave them for nickels. It was because they did not have an account with the bank I was told by them. Oh well.
That was what exactly happened to me when I visited Vancouver last year. I went to a Royal Bank of Canada Branch (RBC) to try exchanging money and they wouldn't even do it because I did not have a bank account with them. That was probably the bank your friends went to. I haven't had any problems with any other Canadian Banks. I plan to go back to Canada later this year and when I am there, I intend to hunt down this year's special edition 150th Anniversary coins but avoid all RBC branches at all costs since they seemingly don't like doing business with tourists.

As for your proposition, it will be hard to get Canadian coins because I bet you even Canadian tourists will not carry rolls of coins when they visit the US. I certainly don't bring rolls of American coins when I am visiting Canada. You'll be lucky to get Canadian banknotes. The best option IMO is to take a brief visit to somewhere close by in Canada and visit a bank other than RBC to obtain them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal