Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the bigger picture of bike paths in Montreal not just de'maisoneuve blvd, i'm in Lasalle and almost every street has double wide bike paths, bike paths go from Old Montreal to St Anne de Belleview yet bicyclists insist on driving on the roads holding up traffic when the bike path is less than 10ft away.
IMO Montreals obsession with bike paths is just one reason for Montreals traffic chaos,i'd say the main reason is just too many cars for the infrastructure to support and too much poorly planned construction projects where in many cases even the detours are under construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 AM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm looking at the bigger picture of bike paths in Montreal not just de'maisoneuve blvd, i'm in Lasalle and almost every street has double wide bike paths, bike paths go from Old Montreal to St Anne de Belleview yet bicyclists insist on driving on the roads holding up traffic when the bike path is less than 10ft away.
IMO Montreals obsession with bike paths is just one reason for Montreals traffic chaos,i'd say the main reason is just too many cars for the infrastructure to support and too much poorly planned construction projects where in many cases even the detours are under construction.
^This, we agree on!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Hence why I believe public transportation is in dire need of expansion. The metro needs to go farther West, well beyond Snowdon, and I believe a line needs to extend to Brossard. I understand there is a proposal for a light rail system, which would be GREAT, but it seems that is still quite a few years from happening.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM

412 posts, read 385,674 times
Light rail's cheap (relatively). But presents all sorts of traffic problems itself. When people push it, they never dwell on its problems. Buses are cheaper and free of some of the problems. They do hold up auto traffic some, but they don't present the erratic behavior typical of most bicyclists. To me when driving, the signifcant probability of hitting an unskilled or just undisciplined bicyclist makes my safe driving harder. Bus operators have training. That's a key difference.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:16 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Light rail's cheap (relatively). But presents all sorts of traffic problems itself. When people push it, they never dwell on its problems. Buses are cheaper and free of some of the problems. They do hold up auto traffic some, but they don't present the erratic behavior typical of most bicyclists. To me when driving, the signifcant probability of hitting an unskilled or just undisciplined bicyclist makes my safe driving harder. Bus operators have training. That's a key difference.
Keep in mind the road space is designed to be SHARED by all users and modes of transport, not just auto traffic. Just because automobiles occupy the most amount of precious public space does not mean it has sole right to navigate as it sees fit. Bikes, scooters, cars, buses, streetcars/LRTs (in the case of Toronto) all have a fair share of the road space. I always cringe when drivers complain about LRTs/bikes taking up a portion of the road space, when single-occupancy vehicles occupy the most amount of road space per capita - and that is not counting the thousands of occupied and unoccupied parking spots on every street. When you add all of that together, from a city planning and public utility perspective, single-occupancy vehicles become the most inefficient use of our public realm on a per capita and actual utilization rate basis.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:14 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Three months ago, in November, -

Quote:
Construction is set to begin in the spring [of this year] and be completed by the end of 2020.
Montreal light rail will connect to downtown metro system | CTV Montreal News

Old 02-06-2017, 08:56 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Train électrique: le BAPE jette une douche froide sur le projet de la Caisse | Denis Lessard | Politique québécoise

As of Jan 20, this project is put on hold due to lack of EA and funding, as per Quebec's environment ministry.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Is this

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...9!4d-73.567256

the section of Highway 15 they are talking about?

I really think the compact freeway design is cool, it reminds me of NJ route 495 (the freeway that leads to the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan)

Old 02-06-2017, 05:27 PM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Train électrique: le BAPE jette une douche froide sur le projet de la Caisse | Denis Lessard | Politique québécoise

As of Jan 20, this project is put on hold due to lack of EA and funding, as per Quebec's environment ministry.
No, it's not on hold, there is a team of 400 professionals working on this project at the CDPQ and both the premier Couillard and mayor Coderre have said repeatedly that the project is to go ahead, full steam. The BAPE's only power is to issue a recommendation. They weren't even against the project, they basically said they didn't have enough info to make an informed decision.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:42 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is this

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...9!4d-73.567256

the section of Highway 15 they are talking about?

I really think the compact freeway design is cool, it reminds me of NJ route 495 (the freeway that leads to the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan)
I believe so.
I also like this design, though. It seems very convenient in that it doesn't interfere with the local roads. Crossings are easy in that there is no elevation required since the expressway runs underneath everything.
I'm not too familiar with the 495, but it reminds me of the Grand Central in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal