Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 04:45 PM

579 posts, read 664,467 times

Advertisements

Now I understand that Montreal may be similar to one city in one respect and to another city in another respect, so please, be specific about the city and about the aspect.

Historical architecture: Boston, Philadelphia

Bikeability, weather: Minneapolis

Nightlife: New Orleans

That's about as far as I can tell, which isn't that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 12:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,777 times
Miami would be one for the linguistic aspect. While there are different linguistic minorities, it fairly evenly split between Spanish and English (perhaps like Montreal in the old days); more than this, among US cities I've lived in, Miami stands out in that both languages can be found among all classes (Spanish was common at university once you stepped out of the classroom), people switch back and forth among languages, and it is clearly staying as part of the culture. Of course its not the same in status as English and French in Montreal, but on an everyday level Miami comes across as a truly bilingual city. There are some other parallels - such as large Jewish and Haitian communities. Of course in other aspects (built city, transportation, climate) it's quite different.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 AM

382 posts, read 365,451 times
What makes Montreal so awesome is that it is unique. The architecture, culture, nightlife, festivals, energy. There are U.S. cities very rich in culture (i.e. Tarpon Springs is Greek and Solvang is Danish) You can find similar type of nightlife is maybe other areas such as NOLA, 6th street, Ybor, etc. But the combination of culture, nightlife, and architecture... in the U.S.? I'm curious.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:46 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Most like New York City, specifically Manhattan:
- Both are Islands
- Both have a large Central Parks by the same architect
- Both are massively multicultural
- Both large Jewish populations
- Exact same early 1900s architecture in certain areas
- Both have second river Island (Roosevelt Isl. & Ile St Helene)
- Both fashion capitals
- Both party capitals

Old 03-15-2016, 02:48 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Most like New York City, specifically Manhattan:
- Both are Islands
- Both have a large Central Parks by the same architect
- Both are massively multicultural
- Both large Jewish populations
- Exact same early 1900s architecture in certain areas
- Both have second river Island (Roosevelt Isl. & Ile St Helene)
- Both fashion capitals
- Both party capitals
I always thought certain areas of Montreal felt a bit more like parts of Brooklyn.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I always thought certain areas of Montreal felt a bit more like parts of Brooklyn.
YES!! I have a friend -- originally from Montreal -- who moved to Manhattan. Then she and her husband moved to Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn. When I went to visit her, I felt like I was on Sherbrooke in Westmount. It was so much like Montreal -- we both agreed. There was even a French elementary school in her neighborhood.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:03 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
I met a couple of people from Boston during McMun conference here in Montreal and they said that they felt at home here, saying how Montreal is a bigger/more french Boston, and also met people from NYC saying that Montreal and Brooklyn have the same feel.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I met a couple of people from Boston during McMun conference here in Montreal and they said that they felt at home here, saying how Montreal is a bigger/more french Boston, and also met people from NYC saying that Montreal and Brooklyn have the same feel.
I lived in Massachusetts for a while and, they're right, there are areas of Boston that feel very much like areas of Montreal.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:14 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I lived in Massachusetts for a while and, they're right, there are areas of Boston that feel very much like areas of Montreal.
I forgot which areas they mentioned, but the downtown area was one of them, all i know is that they were very happy and comfortable here, which was really nice to see.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:09 PM

17,160 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
YES!! I have a friend -- originally from Montreal -- who moved to Manhattan. Then she and her husband moved to Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn. When I went to visit her, I felt like I was on Sherbrooke in Westmount. It was so much like Montreal -- we both agreed. There was even a French elementary school in her neighborhood.
I highly agree. Parts of Brooklyn remind me of Jean-Talon too. As for the school, are you talking about the one on (or near) Park Pl right by Eastern Pkwy? I used to have family out there, and felt eerily at home when walking through the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal